mtilev

Installed Java Service running but not visible within MMC Services snap-in

Hello,

we have setup a new installer project wich includes a Java Service. The service is installed and started during initial installation. Its process is visible within task manager; in addition, it is visible within task manager's 'Services' tab, too. However, within the Services console (services.msc rsep. compmgmt.msc) this service is missing (even after reboot).

Do You have any ideas what gos wrong here? I can provide our project file on request to your support email.

Thanks and kind regards,

Milen
Bogdan

Re: Installed Java Service running but not visible within MMC Services snap-in

Hi,

This seems to be a problem with the machine on which you are testing the package. Have you seen the same behavior on multiple machines? We recommend VMs for testing.

Regards,
Bogdan
Bogdan Mitrache - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
mtilev

Hi Bogdan,

we have observed the same behavior on any machine we and our customer tested the installer on. This includes Windows 7 and 8.1 machines. Any other ideas?

Thanks and kind regards,

Milen
Bogdan

Could you give us an AIP file that reproduces this behavior and a verbose log of the installation on one of those machines?

This can help us take a closer look at what is happening.

Regards,
Bogdan
Bogdan

Hi,

In the project file you sent us over email I noticed you use two methods to control (stop) the service:

1) first you have all options "Start", "Stop" "Delete" selected for the Install stage. This is correct as our docs mention.
2) you are also using a custom action StopWebSIService that stops it on upgrade

The custom action and the settings from point 1) are basically doing the same, so you should not need both. Maybe these causes the installer to behave incorrectly and also delete the service on install (I am not 100% sure).

Can you please try to either remove the custom action from the project (or simply set a condition that will always be false, so it does not execute on upgrade), or uncheck the option "Stop" and "Delete" from the Install phase for your service, from Services page.

If I look carefully, I see you also execute the custom action from the old version, the one being upgraded, so in this case you need to both set the false condition AND also untick the options "Stop" and "Delete" from the Install phase for your service, from Services page.

If the problem still persist, please send us the latest AIP file and a verbose log of the installation.

Regards,
Bogdan
mtilev

Bogdan,

removing the custom action solves the issue for us.

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Milen

Return to “Common Problems”