ddeepti.kulkarni

Add link to PDF in installation step dialogue

Hello,

I want to add link to PDF file on one of the dialogue shown during installation.
I have attached screenshot for reference.
If I browse and all file still it prefixes it with "http://", I want to give link to physical file.
Thanks.
Attachments
Link to PDF
Link to PDF
Hyperlink.png (27.04 KiB) Viewed 10557 times
Eusebiu

Re: Add link to PDF in installation step dialogue

Hi,

In order to reference a physical file through a "Hyperlink" control you can replace "http" with "file" in the "URL" field (i.e. "file://C:\myFile.pdf").

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
ddeepti.kulkarni

Thanks for your reply. But this solution is not working. It is showing link in wizard but not navigating.
Eusebiu

Hi,

I might have not understood your scenario correctly. Do you want to point to a PDF file available on the machine or a PDF file that is uploaded on a server?

Best regards,
Eusebiu
ddeepti.kulkarni

Hi Eusebiu,

I want to include PDF file in packaging (setup) and give link to that PDF. Is this possible?

Thanks,
Deepti
Eusebiu

Hi Deepti,

Yes, this is possible. However, the PDF file can be open only after it was copied on the machine. If you want to open it when the dialogs are displayed, you can add it as a temporary file by using the related toolbar button from the "Files and Folders" page, then you use an URL as I mentioned in a previous post (i.e. file://[AI_MYFILE.PDF], where the "AI_MYFILE.PDF" is the property related to the temporary file).

Best regards,
Eusebiu
ddeepti.kulkarni

Thanks for the reply.
It worked for all other dialogues except last dialogue. I am using same hyperlink control on all dialogues but it is not working for last dialogue. What can be reason?

Regards,
Deepti
Attachments
Link.png
Link.png (26.32 KiB) Viewed 10527 times
Eusebiu

Hello Deepti,

This happens because the temporary file is already removed at that point, however the application files are already installed. So, you can either set the "Do not remove the file when setup ends" option for that temporary file or reference a PDF from the application folder on that dialog.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
ddeepti.kulkarni

Hello Eusebiu,

This solution worked! Thank you very much.

Regards,
Deepti
Eusebiu

You're welcome Deepti. I'm glad you got this working.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
lesliehedzg

HI,
I need to add a PDF file to a push button, I tried the steps above but I do not understand how to add it to my dialog, what properties do I need to modify in the push button.
Thanck you
Catalin

Hello and welcome to our forums,

In order to display a .PDF file by pressing a button on your dialogs, you have to firstly add your .PDF file as a temporary file, then create a custom action which will launch it. After doing so, you have to trigger your custom action when pressing the push button by creating an event.

Here is a step-by-step which will help you implement what you wish:
1) Firstly, we have to add the .PDF file as a temporary file. In order to do this, you can go to "Files and Folders" page and then click on the "Add Temporary Files" button from the toolbar.

2) Now we have to create the custom action which will launch the file. In order to do this, you can go to "Custom Actions" page and add a "LaunchFile" custom action without sequence. This custom action will be triggered from Dialogs page by all referring "Execute Custom Action" control events. Under the "Properties" pane, in the "File to launch" field, insert the following command:

Code: Select all

[&yourFile.pdf]
where yourFile.pdf is the name of your earlier added file. Also, please keep in mind that you have to also uncheck the "Fail installation if custom action returns an error" option, otherwise your installation will fail upon closing the .PDF file, because it will return an error code.

3) Now that we have created the custom action, we have to add the push button to our dialogs. In order to achieve this, you can go to "Dialogs" page and click on the "Control Toolbox" button from the toolbar and add the "Push Button" to your dialog. After that, click on your button and under "Published Events" tab, press on the "New..." button --> "Execute Custom Action" --> in "Argument" field select "LaunchFile" and let the "Condition" field unchanged.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
lesliehedzg

Hello thank you very much, it is very well explained, I followed the steps but when running the installer, I push the button and open it another folder.
Open the project folder in documents, and do not open the PDF. :cry:
Catalin

Hello,

Can you please double check if you have typed the reference to your .PDF file correctly in the "File to launch" field ? In order to do this, you can go to "Custom Actions" page and under "Existing Custom Actions" tab, click on your "LaunchFile" custom action and make sure that the reference to your .PDF file is correctly typed. For example, if your .PDF file is named My Pdf.pdf, the reference to it will look like this: [&mypdf.pdf]. Please keep in mind that upon typing "[&" (without quotes) in the "File to launch" field, you will get some the suggestions for what files you can launch.

Also, please keep in mind that Temporary Files are copied during the CostFinalize standard action, at the beginning of the setup and removed during the InstallFinalize standard action. This means that, for example, if you have your push button placed on the "ExitDialog", the custom action will not be able to launch your .PDF file, because at that point in time, the temporary files are already removed.

To avoid this, you can go to "Files and Folders" page, click on your added temporary file and press the "Properties" button from the Toolbar. After doing that, check the "Do not remove the file when setup ends" option.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
lesliehedzg

Actually the button is in the begin of the installation , is the first dialog.
I have this.
Attachments
pdf3.png
pdf3.png (85.36 KiB) Viewed 9824 times
pdf2.png
pdf2.png (69.09 KiB) Viewed 9824 times
pdf.png
pdf.png (69.95 KiB) Viewed 9824 times

Return to “Common Problems”