gallyjh

Upgrading when versioning system has changed.

Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:34 pm

Hi,

Recently ran into an issue where we were on a versioning system where we only used the first 3 octets for versioning. For example 6.5.1234. We've now changed that system to utilize the 4th octet and so now I versioning looks like 6.5.8.1234. The problem now is that when trying to upgrade 6.5.1234, 6.5.8.1234 is being seen as an older version, obviously because 8 < 1234. Is there something in Advanced Installer that I should do to accommodate this change?

Dan

Re: Upgrading when versioning system has changed.

Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:55 pm

Hello,

Indeed, the upgrade process fails when using the fourth field of the ProductVersion. This is happening because the fourth field of the Product Version is ignored by Windows Installer when comparing product versions. This is why you should make sure the first three fields of your upgraded Product Version have an increased version than those of your old Product Version.
When the first three fields of the old and upgraded Product Version are identical, then the upgrade installation will either fail with "Another version of this product is already installed" message or will be installed side by side with the old version (when using different Product Codes).

However, you can still upgrade your application when using the fourth field. Please take a look on the How do I remove the old version when using the fourth field of the Product Version? article with related information for hints and guidance.

If you have other questions, please let us know.

Best regards,
Dan
Dan Ghiorghita - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

gallyjh

Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:42 pm

Hi Dan,

This still poses the issue where 6.5.8.1234 (new version) is viewed less than 6.5.1234 (old version). This does not appear to fix that issue, no?

Dan

Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:44 pm

Hello,
This still poses the issue where 6.5.8.1234 (new version) is viewed less than 6.5.1234 (old version). This does not appear to fix that issue, no?
I'm not sure I fully understand your scenario. Can you please give me more details?

6.5.8.1234 (new version) is less than 6.5.1234 (old version).

Best regards,
Dan
Dan Ghiorghita - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”