Eric_Liu

Is it possible to upgrade the program without closing the software?

Hi support team,

I've created the MSI file by Advanced installer. There are 2 versions of msi file with the same ProductCode.

1.msi
C:\Program Files\test.exe
C:\Program Files\test.dll

2.msi
C:\Program Files\test.exe (-new version-)
C:\Program Files\test.dll (-new version-)

I've installed the 1.msi, then launch the test.exe.

1. If the test.exe is launching, is it possible upgrade the test.exe by install the 2.msi without closing the test.exe ?

If yes, then
2. If the 2.msi installed successfully, the test.exe will upgrade automatically after user close the test.exe ?
Dan

Re: Is it possible to upgrade the program without closing the software?

Hello Eric,
I've created the MSI file by Advanced installer. There are 2 versions of msi file with the same ProductCode.
Note that two products with the same ProductCode can not be installed on the same computer. Windows Installer will prevent this with an error reading:
  • Another version of this product is already installed. Installation of this version cannot continue. To configure or remove the existing version of this product, use Add/Remove Programs on the Control Panel.
For details, please check the Product Identification (ProductCode and UpgradeCode) article.
1. If the test.exe is launching, is it possible upgrade the test.exe by install the 2.msi without closing the test.exe ?
If during an upgrade some files are in use, then the Windows Installer will prompt you with the Files In Use Dialog (MsiRMFilesInUse).
This dialog appears if a file usage conflict is detected. The list will display all the files that are being used by another application and which will be overwritten by the installation process. In this dialog two options are available
  • Automatically close applications and attempt to restart them after setup is complete
  • Do not close applications (a reboot will be required)
Please let me know if you have other questions.

Best regards,
Dan
Dan Ghiorghita - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
Eric_Liu

Dan wrote:Hello Eric,
Note that two products with the same ProductCode can not be installed on the same computer. Windows Installer will prevent this with an error reading:
  • Another version of this product is already installed. Installation of this version cannot continue. To configure or remove the existing version of this product, use Add/Remove Programs on the Control Panel.
For details, please check the Product Identification (ProductCode and UpgradeCode) article.
If during an upgrade some files are in use, then the Windows Installer will prompt you with the Files In Use Dialog (MsiRMFilesInUse).
This dialog appears if a file usage conflict is detected. The list will display all the files that are being used by another application and which will be overwritten by the installation process. In this dialog two options are available
  • Automatically close applications and attempt to restart them after setup is complete
  • Do not close applications (a reboot will be required)
Please let me know if you have other questions.

Best regards,
Dan
If i want to silent install/uninstall the msi by msiexec command, how can I choose "Do not close applications" ?
Untitledd.png
Untitledd.png (3.87 KiB) Viewed 5219 times
Ste

Hello,

Sorry for using this topic for my problem. I tried creating a new one but the forum just logs me out whenever I press 'New Topic'.

I'm trying to figure out what is happening during upgrading one of our products. The update process correctly finds files in use and gives the following prompt:
files_in_use.PNG
files_in_use.PNG (18.77 KiB) Viewed 4690 times
The problem is that selecting "Do not close applications (a reboot will be required)" and proceeding ends up stopping the services anyway. Here is a bit of the verbose install log that looks promising to me but I can't figure it out completely:
MSI (s) (BC:40) [16:00:16:654]: RESTART MANAGER: Detected that application with id 920, friendly name 'Windows Explorer', of type RmExplorer and status 1 holds file[s] in use.
MSI (s) (BC:40) [16:00:16:654]: RESTART MANAGER: Detected that application with id 1504, friendly name 'Tiger Bridge REST Service', service short name 'tierhttp', of type RmService and status 1 holds file[s] in use.
MSI (s) (BC:40) [16:00:16:654]: RESTART MANAGER: Detected that the service tierhttp will be stopped due to a service control action authored in the package before the files are updated. So, we will not attempt to stop this service using Restart Manager
MSI (s) (BC:40) [16:00:16:654]: RESTART MANAGER: Detected that application with id 2628, friendly name 'Tiger Bridge Service', service short name 'tiersvc', of type RmService and status 1 holds file[s] in use.
MSI (s) (BC:40) [16:00:16:654]: RESTART MANAGER: Detected that the service tiersvc will be stopped due to a service control action authored in the package before the files are updated. So, we will not attempt to stop this service using Restart Manager
MSI (s) (BC:40) [16:00:16:654]: RESTART MANAGER: Detected that application with id 1852, friendly name 'Tiger Store Master', service short name 'tboxmaster', of type RmService and status 1 holds file[s] in use.
MSI (c) (A8:DC) [16:00:16:654]: RESTART MANAGER: Session opened.
MSI (c) (A8:DC) [16:00:16:670]: RESTART MANAGER: Detected that application with id 920, friendly name 'Windows Explorer', of type RmExplorer and status 1 holds file[s] in use.
MSI (c) (A8:DC) [16:00:16:670]: RESTART MANAGER: Detected that application with id 1852, friendly name 'Tiger Store Master', service short name 'tboxmaster', of type RmService and status 1 holds file[s] in use.
MSI (c) (A8:DC) [16:00:16:670]: RESTART MANAGER: Detected that application with id 2628, friendly name 'Tiger Bridge Service', service short name 'tiersvc', of type RmService and status 1 holds file[s] in use.
[...]
MSI (s) (BC:40) [16:01:10:967]: RESTART MANAGER: The user chose to go on with the installation, although a reboot will be required.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Catalin

Hello and welcome to our forums,

First of all, I apologize for the delayed reply.

From what I can see in the sent part of the log file, it seems that you have a control operation which stops the services during the uninstall process. To check this, please go to "Services" page, under "Control Operations" click on one of your control operations and, under "Actions" --> "On Uninstall", check if you have the "Stop" option checked.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”