adamdc78

FileCopy: Error 1310. System error 0.

Code: Select all

MSI (s) (F8:4C) [17:22:23:138]: Executing op: FileCopy(SourceName=filena~2.DLL|filename.dll,SourceCabKey=filename.dll,DestName=filename.dll,Attributes=0,FileSize=10752,PerTick=65536,,VerifyMedia=1,,,,,CheckCRC=0,Version=8.5.1.7136,Language=0,InstallMode=58982400,,,,,,,)
MSI (s) (F8:4C) [17:22:23:139]: File: E:\Program Files\Product Name\filename.dll;	Overwrite;	Won't patch;	Existing file is a lower version
MSI (s) (F8:4C) [17:22:23:141]: Source for file 'filename.dll' is compressed
MSI (s) (F8:4C) [17:22:23:142]: Re-applying security from existing file.
MSI (s) (F8:4C) [17:22:23:146]: Verifying accessibility of file: filename.dll
MSI (s) (F8:4C) [17:22:23:154]: Note: 1: 1310 2: 0 3: E:\Program Files\Product Name\filename.dll 
MSI (s) (F8:4C) [17:22:23:155]: Product: Product Name -- Error 1310. Error writing to file: E:\Program Files\Product Name\filename.dll.  System error 0.  Verify that you have access to that directory.

Action ended 17:22:23: InstallExecute. Return value 3.

Property(S): MSIINSTALLPERUSER = 1
This is a per-user installation. My user's effective permissions are Full Control. I can manually remove the file. The folder is not UAC protected. The drive is BitLocker encrypted.

Is this issue resolved in a recent release? We're running several versions behind due to a fairly hectic release schedule of our own of late.
Daniel

Re: FileCopy: Error 1310. System error 0.

Hello,

Please note that with "Per-user only" installation type, on Windows Vista or above, the logged user will never be elevated to administrative privileges, so if the installation requires such privileges, it will fail. In your case, writing a file in Program Files requires administrative privileges, thus the install fails. For a successful install you need to change the the installation type to "Per-user only (with administrator rights required)" in the "Install Parameters" page of your setup project.

Also, since your drive is encrypted with BitLocker, can you please make sure you have write access on the above location? Just try to manually create the file at the specified location.

Let us know if this helped.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
adamdc78

That is not the system Program Files and does NOT require elevation. %WINDIR% is C:

Our custom bootstrapper actually attempts to create a file in the installation path and re-launches with administrative privileges if the write is denied.

I can create and delete files and folders in E:\Program Files and E:\Program Files\Product Name at will with no administrative privileges and this is in fact an attempt to upgrade (note "MSI (s) (F8:4C) [17:22:23:142]: Re-applying security from existing file.") which is why I am surprised that there is an issue.

msiexec executing in my user context should not have any permissions-related issues with writing to that file.
Daniel

Hello,

I have tested your per-user upgrade installation scenario on a volume encrypted with BitLocker, but i cannot reproduce it on our machines. Can you reproduce this issue on another machine too?

Also, can you please send us the .AIP projects of both your old and new setup version and a complete verbose log of the upgrade installation to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate them?

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”