jmsole

Program not running after installation

Hello,

I've recently started using Advanced Installer to create installers for my visual studio projects and unfortunately I've ran into an issue. When I first installed the program (the one that was built by advanced installer), it ran once just fine but when I closed it, it would not start up again. I've googled this problem to see if I could find anything but unfortunately I didn't find anything. Is this a common issue or am I doing something wrong (which I probably am)?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Sorin

Re: Program not running after installation

Hello,

Can you give us more details regarding the behaviour you encounter? You are referring to your application or to the package built with Advanced Installer? Do you receive an error message? A screenshot would be very helpful.

If this problem is related to the package built with Advanced Installer (MSI or EXE) please send us the .AIP (project) to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate it.

Best regards,
Sorin
Sorin Stefan - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
jmsole

Hello,

Well I have built an msi using Advanced Installer and it installs the program but ever since I ran it once, it never runs again. It doesn't display an error message, it installs fine but when I click to run the program that was built with Advanced Installer, it doesn't execute.
cassandraharris

Hi,
I have the similar problem. Honestly, I was thinking about selling a computer :D
Because, all my actions lead nowhere.,
So, I hope that I can find the answer on my problem here!
jmsole

Hello,

I sent an email to the support team with the ,AIP project file. Just was wondering if there was any updates concerning my issue raised.

Thanks

Sorin wrote:Hello,

Can you give us more details regarding the behaviour you encounter? You are referring to your application or to the package built with Advanced Installer? Do you receive an error message? A screenshot would be very helpful.

If this problem is related to the package built with Advanced Installer (MSI or EXE) please send us the .AIP (project) to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate it.

Best regards,
Sorin
Sorin

Hello Jimmy,

I have tested your project by building it with dummy resources and could not replicate the problem. Can you reproduce this issue on other machines? If you can, please send us a download link for the setup so we could continue invetigating this issue.

For testing purposes we always recommend to be used virtual machines with clean states so that when something goes wrong you can easily revert to a clean state of the virtual machine.

Best regards,
Sorin
jmsole

I'm not sure on how to explain it. It installs but I cannot get it to run more than once. A friend suggested changing version numbers but that didn't do anything for me.

I tried sending a zip file with all the resources in case I missed something but your email server would not receive it for some reason, so I resent a revised copy of the AIP project file. I'm running it inside Visual Studio 2017, would that affect anything than if I was running the stand alone program?
jmsole

Sorin,

I also uninstalled and reinstalled the package, plus rebuilt it in hopes of having a different outcome but the same thing happened (installed fine, didn't run). Actually, it has not run at all since I first installed the program over a week ago.

Have you heard of anyone having this issue before?

Thanks
jmsole

Sorin wrote:Hello Jimmy,

I have tested your project by building it with dummy resources and could not replicate the problem. Can you reproduce this issue on other machines? If you can, please send us a download link for the setup so we could continue invetigating this issue.

For testing purposes we always recommend to be used virtual machines with clean states so that when something goes wrong you can easily revert to a clean state of the virtual machine.

Best regards,
Sorin

Here is the download link that contains everything for setting up the package. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wqodc4xp0efq ... xev6a?dl=0

I hope it helps
Sorin

Hello,

I have tested your MSI setup file on an Windows 10 x64 machine and it was installed succesfuly. If the MSI file is run again after the first install, the standard Windows Installer behaviour is encountered - Maintenance mode is launched.

I have also launched your application - "QBC.exe" for a number of times and it was launched correctly.

I'm not sure if your problem is with the "QBCDirectory.msi" or with "QBC.exe". If the problem is with the exe file, there isn't too much that we could do to help you.You should try to debug your application code in case it doesn't run as expected on your test machine.

Best regards,
Sorin
jmsole

It seems like I got it to work now. Thanks for your help :)
Sorin

Hello,

I'm glad that you've sorted things out. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Best regards,
Sorin
WillCourney

I'm happy that your question solved. I had a similar question and I would like to help but it isn't necessary, I see. Now I'll visit your forum more often.
Sorin

Hello Will and welcome to our forums,

Should there be any difficulty implementing something, just let us know and we will gladly assist!

Best regards,
Sorin

Return to “Common Problems”