adam

Visual studio extension - "resolving" of project output and references

Hi,

I'm currently evaluating Advanced Installer as a replacement for our handcrafted WIX project. In general everything's great, but it feels like the Visual Studio Extension is a bit redundant... however that is based on my one problem, which perhaps you can resolve.

I have created a installer project in my solution, and add the project output and references of several projects into the installer. My biggest concern is that the extension doesn't appear to ever "refresh" or "re-resolve" the sources. Part of the project output for one project was an AppSettings.config file, which was picked up and included which impressed me. However, now we have realised we don't need the config in the installer any more, so I deleted the file from the source project. However if I build the installer now it fails, because it can't find the config file. I would have expected the build process to dynamically resolve the project output and references on each build. Additionally I can't even seem to manually get rid of the file, at least without going into the full Advanced Installer ui... if I re-add the project output, it doesn't refresh or remove it from the list.

Have I misunderstood the functionality or is this a limitation?

Kind regards,
Adam.
adam

Re: Visual studio extension - "resolving" of project output and references

Hi,

Is there a reason my question seems to be the only one from the last few days that no one has replied to?

Kind regards,
Adam.
Daniel

Re: Visual studio extension - "resolving" of project output and references

Hello Adam and welcome to our forums,

First of all please accept our apologies for the delayed reply.

I've tested your scenario but I cannot replicate the behavior. Every time after a .config file is removed from its source project its reference from setup project is removed too and the setup project builds successfully.

Could you please try to isolate the behavior in a small sample (SLN file and all of its including projects and resources) which we can test on our side too? If so, please send us a sample and a test case to support at advancedinstaller dot com.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”