brokoli

Radio button group including one first installation and one patch

Hi,

I created a patch upgrading for example from 1.1.1 to 1.1.2 and I want to make a screen including a radio button group. When user comes with that screen there would be two radio buttons for:
1. First button installs 1.1.2 as a first installation
2. Second button install a patch on 1.1.1 and upgrades to 1.1.2

So, button should have installation packages and user can select one of them.

The question is that, how to connect the packages to buttons with a custom action? If user selects first, install full 1.1.2 version, if user selects second button install patch on 1.1.1 and make it 1.1.2?

Thanks
Sorin

Re: Radio button group including one first installation and one patch

Hello,

May I ask what you need to achieve using this implementation?

If you just need to upgrade an older installation if it exists or, if not, directly install the new version, all you have to do is to create a Major Upgrade

In order to implement a Major Upgrade you have to create a backup copy of your project and then to increment the Product Version from "Product Details" page. When selecting another page, you will be prompted to choose if you want to generate a new product code or to keep the existing one. For major upgrades you have to select "Generate new".

The package resulted by building this new project is a major upgrade for the old version. When launched it will check if there is an older version installed on the machine, it will remove it and then install the new version. If an older version is not present on the target machine, a first time install for the new version will be done.

The main advantage of authoring a patch (instead of a major upgradade) is the small package size, as it only contains the diff between the old and the new versions but it has some restrictions that must be taken into consideration. In your case, if the patch is bundled with the main installation it becomes redundant.

Best regards,
Sorin
Sorin Stefan - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”