Helan

Avoid "close applications window"

My install contains a service and when upgrading I get the dialog below. The service can always be closed when upgrading. Is there any way to avoid this dialog?
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (21.76 KiB) Viewed 3840 times
Sorin

Re: Avoid "close applications window"

Hello,

This behavior could triggered by the fact that in your old project, your service isn't configured to stop at uninstall. During the upgrade process Windows Installer first uninstalls the first version and then installs the new one. You can open your old project (first version) go to "Services" page and enable "Stop" action from "Uninstall" section.

If your old package has already been released to your customers, you need to add a new "Stop Service" custom action in your upgrade project. You can place this custom action before "Remove resorces" action in "Install execution stage". In the service name field enter the name of the service deployed by the first package.

Best regards,
Sorin
Sorin Stefan - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
Helan

Fortunately the product is not released to customers yet.

This is how the service is configured.
service1.PNG
service1.PNG (23.96 KiB) Viewed 3821 times
service2.PNG
service2.PNG (12.34 KiB) Viewed 3821 times
Sorin

Hello,

Please send us both the AIP projects (old and upgrade) and a verbose log of the upgrade installation to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate them.

Best regards,
Sorin
Helan

Ok, I have mailed you the files.
Sorin

Hello,

I've analyzed your project and I've noticed that your Stop Service custom action is not properly configured. Please note that in the "Service Name" field you need to enter the exact service name, as it is in the "Services" page. Also I recommend moving this custom action after "Searches" in "Install Execution Stage".

If this is not helpful, please use a task manager to analyze which processes are in use at install time and which files are handled by them.

Best regards,
Sorin

Return to “Common Problems”