ChrisR.

Overwriting other files; Removing shared files and folders upon removal

Hey everyone,

With my installer when I install the files into the destination folder, it overwrites some files that are previously in the same folder. At this time of testing, I am not sure if these files are named the same name or not. Also upon uninstalling the application, it removes entire folders that may be shared between add-ons.

For example

Folder: Product A
Folder: Product B
Folder: Shared files
Folder: Shared files

upon uninstalling the application:

Folder: Product B
Folder: Shared Files - All files removed
--------------------------------------------------
Is there any way to prevent overwriting of files as well as removal of files upon removal of the application??

Thanks!
-Chris
Sorin

Re: Overwriting other files; Removing shared files and folders upon removal

Hello,
With my installer when I install the files into the destination folder, it overwrites some files that are previously in the same folder.
Windows instaler overwrites the existing files based on some file versioning rules. Please take a look on this article : File Versioning Rules
Is there any way to prevent overwriting of files as well as removal of files upon removal of the application??
Yes, this could be achieved using our "Do not overwrite existing file" from File Operations Tab

In order to enable this option, just go to "Files and Folders" page, double click on the file and go to "Operations" tab.

This option will ensure that the file will not we overwritten and it will also prevent its removal on uninstall.

Best regards,
Sorin
Sorin Stefan - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
ChrisR.

Thank you Sorin, I have looked over the mentioned article but I still have a few questions.

For example on installing the product.

Existing Folders / Files

Folder1
Files A,B,C,D
------

Is there a way to set Advanced installer to add files from the new program into Folder1 but leave files A-D un-touched even if they may have the same name?

Thank you for the help!
-Chris
Sorin

Hello Chris,

You are welcome!
Is there a way to set Advanced installer to add files from the new program into Folder1 but leave files A-D un-touched even if they may have the same name?
Yes, the "Do not overwrite existing file" option I've mentioned in my previous reply could be used for implementing this scenario. You could set this option for A,B,C and D files.

Best regards,
Sorin
ChrisR.

Hey thank you very much for the help! I know I had quite an urgent and rushed tone, which can make it hard to understand sometimes!

Just wanted to say a big thank you! I created an installer successfully! I might become somewhat a regular on here asking for advice and tips in the future!

Thank you again!
-Chris
Sorin

Hello Chris,

You are welcome!

I'm glad that you've sorted things out. Should there be any difficulty implementing something, don't hesitate to contact me know and I will gladly assist.

Best regards,
Sorin

Return to “Common Problems”