kjullion

Mapped network drive not allowed in some dialogs

Hi,
How do I allow for a mapped network drive (such as "F") to appear in the various AI controls such as BrowseDlg's DirectoryCombo control and the PathEdit control. Both are only showing me the local drives C and D.
My test bed for our installer is an Oracle Virtual Box so that is where the mapped network drive tests are occurring. And where it only shows me the C and D drives even though Windows Explorer is showing me the mapped F drive correctly.

Thanks in advance.
Sorin

Re: Mapped network drive not allowed in some dialogs

Hello,

In order to display the mapped network drives in BrowseDlg just go to "Dialogs" page and select "Directory Combo" from "BrowseDlg". Then, set the "Remote Volume" attribute (from the Properties pane at the right side) to "True".

Best regards,
Sorin
Sorin Stefan - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
kjullion

Hi Sorin,
I found that the "Remote Volume" setting on each of the BrowseDlg's in my AI project were already set to "True".
And still when I test the MSI on a VM I only see my two local disk volumes ("C:" and "D:").

So, could it be that the Oracle Virtual Box vm is not correctly reporting my mapped drive ("F:") to the OS or to the AI installer correctly...is that possible?

Thanks,
Kevin
Sorin

Hello,

I have tested your scenario on a Oracle VM but couldn't reproduce this issue.

Could you send us the .AIP (project) and a download link for the setup to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate them?

Also could you give us more details regarding you scenario? Was the drive mapped using Windows Explorer or command line?

Best regards,
Sorin
Sorin

Hello Kevin,

I've analyzed your project and setup file, thank you for sending them. This issue seems to be triggered by the fact that you are using "Run as Administrator" option. Mapped drives are available for the current user, in non elevated context. In order to fix this issue, you could uncheck "Run as Administrator" option from "Install parameters".

Best regards,
Sorin
kjullion

Thank you Sorin, I will certainly try removing the "Run as Administrator" option and see if that does resolve our missing mapped network drive problem. I'm wondering, however, what might be some of the possible side effects of removing that option; if indeed there are any. Can you speak to that a little and let me know what might be any other positive/negative side effects from removing the "Run as Administrator" option.
Sorin

Hello,

"Run as administrator" is an Advanced Installer feature that elevates the whole installation process right from the beginning. This feature requires an EXE package type. For most of the scenarios, you could simply give admin privileges to the custom actions you need to run elevated, leaving the main process un-elevated.

Best regards,
Sorin

Return to “Common Problems”