gcruz

Prerequisite fails to install

Hello !!
I have an installer with a prerequisite exe file embedded.
This installer is launched by custom action from another installer. (This second installer works like launcher of the other installers)
The installer hangs extracting the prerequisite. If the installer is launched alone then works fine and extract and run the prerequisite.
The same problem occurs with an installer with SQL 2008 R2 prerequisite. Launched by custom action, the installer download the SQL installer and runs, but the SQL installation fails. If the installer is launched alone, downloads and install SQL without problem.

Why the prerequisites don't work when launched by custom actions? what can be happen?

Thanks & Regards.
Guillermo
Daniel

Re: Prerequisite fails to install

Hello Guillermo,

You may be encountering the following issue when MSSQL Server 2008R2 SP2 (or later) cannot be installed from your setup package as a Feature-based of Post-install prerequisite. Because the MSSQL Server setup is blocked as long as any other MSI is open for installation, the only options are to launch the MSSQL Server installation before or after the MSI's run. Please review the following article for more information: How to install SQL Server Express with your application

Also please note that 2 MSI's cannot run at the same time as there is a limit of 1 execute sequence per system.So launching a custom action at the wrong installation stage may cause an error.

If this information does not help with your issue, could you please please send us both .AIP projects (of both installer packages) and verbose logs of the installations to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate them.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
gcruz

Hello Daniel, thanks for your answer !!

I've changed from SQL Server 2008 to SQL Server 2012 SP2 and now the prerequisite installs fine, but now i have another (and strange) problem. When SQL Server is downloaded and installed, the installation continues and in the last dialog, when i press the button<Install> the installer shows the progress dialog with the Cancel Dialog already showed. If I press <No> the installer returns to the Welcome dialog and starts again.
I have reviewed all the dialogs, tried to create a new project and the Cancel Dialog is showed.
It may be due to the prerequisites?

The project aip is attached.

Thanks & Regards.
Attachments
ContaWin CS (Carpeta de Servidor).aip
(28.2 KiB) Downloaded 209 times
Daniel

Hello,

This may happen if you sign the EXE setup package outside of the Advanced Installer. In this case the EXE will detect that the MSI embedded inside it doesn't have a signature, thus there will be a signature mismatch between EXE bootstrapper and its embedded MSI. In this case the installation will be aborted. If you want to digitally sign yuor setup package you should use our "Digital Signature" page.

If this is not the case, please send us to support at advancedinstaller dot com a download link for the built setup package and the verbose log of such an installation so we can further test and investigate this.

All the best,
Daniel
gcruz

Hello Daniel,

No, i haven't signed the exes.
I send to your support mail the link to download both installers, the launcher and the problematic.

CWCS_Setup.exe -> is the launcher, the second option (Carpeta de Servidor) is the refered.
ContaWin CS (Carpeta de Servidor).exe -> is the installer embedded in CWCS_Setup.exe by custom action. If is executed then works, the problem come with the custom action.

Both aip projects attached.

Thanks & Regards.
Attachments
ContaWin CS (Carpeta de Servidor).aip
(26.75 KiB) Downloaded 218 times
ContaWin CS.aip
(68.16 KiB) Downloaded 208 times
Daniel

Hello Guillermo,

Thank you for your sent files. Based on your configuration I was able to replicate the issue. It seems this is a corner case issue and appears when you try to launch using a "Launch attached file" custom action type an EXE package built with Advanced Installer. This is an Advanced Installer issue, thank you for bringing this to our attention.

A fix will be available in a future version of Advanced Installer. We will update this thread as soon as the fix will be out.

Until then, as a workaround you should add your EXE setup as a temporary file and launch it using a "Launch file" custom action type. Here is a step by step description:

1. go to "Custom Actions" page and delete your "Launch attached file" custom actions
2. go to "Files and Folders" page and using the [Add Temporary Files] button add the EXE setups (you want to launch from a button control) as temporary files
3. go to "Custom Actions" page and add "Launch file" custom actions configured to launch your temporary EXE files
4. go to "Dialogs" page and add "Execute custom action" events configured to launch the above actions

Let us know if this helped.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel

Hello Guillermo,

Our development team have further investigated this issue and it seems to be caused by a Windows Installer design limitation. The only solution will be for you to use the workaround I mentioned.

All the best,
Daniel

Return to “Common Problems”