jbaynton

Installer has stopped treating fresh installs as new installs

Hi,

Sometime in the last few months (an exact date/version is unknown) our installer has stopped treating a fresh install (uninstalled and reinstalled) as a fresh install, and instead seems to think it's resuming an installation. This prevents users from specifying an installation folder. I haven't made any changes that should impact this at all (added a .NET 4.7 prereq, "Use original installation path when upgrading" flag) and undoing those changes has no effect. Unfortunately, the projects aren't yet in source control (it's tops on my todo list when I'm allocated some time) so I can't go back and try older versions.

I've attached the log file up to the ResumeDlg showing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Jeff
Attachments
Install.log
(155.1 KiB) Downloaded 193 times
Daniel

Re: Installer has stopped treating fresh installs as new installs

Hello Jeff,

This may happen if you have an EXE setup package with the "Install MSI as minor upgrade (if applicable)" option enabled on "Builds"page -> "Configuration" tab.

When a lower version of the product (which is patch compatible with the newer version) is found on target machine the current setup package will act like a patch installation, thus triggering the ResumeDlg dialog and patching the current version. It won't uninstall the old version and install from scratch the new version.

Let us know if this helped, otherwise please send us the AIP (project file) to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can further investigate its settings.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
Daniel

Hello Jeff,

Thank you for your sent project. It seems the related behavior is triggered by the "REINSTALLMODE" property you set as command line for the MSI database.

Please open your project in AI and proceed like this:

1. go to "Builds" page -> "Configuration" tab
2. remove the "REINSTALLMODE" property you set in the "MSI command line" field
3. rebuild your setup project

and test again the installation.

All the best,
Daniel
jbaynton

Thanks Daniel, that seems to have fixed it. I'm still baffled though, as that INSTALLMODE parameter has been set like that for years (since before I took over handling the installer)

As curious as I am about the reason, I'm just happy that it's working again.

Thanks so much for your help and quick response.

Jeff
Daniel

You're always welcome Jeff.

I'm not sure why the setup displayed the entire first time dialogs chain when the "REINSTALLMODE" property was set as the behavior you related is the standard one.

All the best,
Daniel

Return to “Common Problems”