mhatkinson

Please wait while Microsoft configures Visual Studio Community 2015...

Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:41 am

Hi,
We're using version 12.4 of Advanced Installer.

Part way through building our project, we get a message box saying "Please wait while Microsoft configures Visual Studio Community 2015", then Advanced Installer hangs for 40 minutes or so.

Our project references some Visual C++ merge modules but, other than that, I can't think of anything. We've recently switched our build machine and this didn't happen on our older machine so I'm hoping it's just some files I need to install.

Is there anywhere in the project I can look to get an idea of why this is happening?

Daniel

Re: Please wait while Microsoft configures Visual Studio Community 2015...

Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:30 pm

Hello,

This could happen if your Windows SDK installation became corrupted or some features are missing. During a setup package build including MSM packages we use the mergemod.dll library to merge the MSM content into the MSI installation database. So, you can try to reinstall the Windows SDK on your current machine and see if this helps.

Also, the mergemod.dll library should be registered on the system calling regsvr32 with a command line like this:

Code: Select all

regsvr32.exe mergemod.dll
All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

mhatkinson

Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:40 am

Thanks Daniel,
It turns out we had Visual Studio Community 2015 installed (although we weren't using it) and just trying to open it up on its own took a ridiculous amount of time. Possibly some kind of installation corruption. I'm not sure.
We uninstalled Visual Studio Community 2015 and...our problems went away.

Still not sure why AI would load up Visual Studio Community 2015 but it seemed to be related to a couple of Merge Modules we were using.

Daniel

Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:48 am

You are always welcome.

Thank you for your follow up on this. I'm sure your insights will be useful for future users facing the same error.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”