InstallerBldr

Did feature based condition evaluation change?

Hi,

We have an Advanced Installer project that was using Feature Based Prerequisites that were conditionally installed in version 14.4 of AI.

When I upgraded to version 14.5.1 of AI, no matter what I do, I cannot get the Feature Based Prerequisites to install unless I replace all the conditional logic with 1.

Details:

Project contains both Pre-install Packages (.NET, Powershell) and Feature-based (database software).

In the AI UI, under Package Definition, Organization, Features And Components, Product, ourIncludedDatabaseSoftware, Feature Properties, Installation Behavior, 'Not Installed' is selected. In the field above 'Not Installed', 'Installed if:' contained our conditional logic that was generated by a custom form.

If I scrap the conditional logic and replace it with "1", then ourIncludedDatabaseSoftware installs perfectly. Except of course it always installs, and we want it to install only part of the time based on a dialog we present to our users. The exact logic we were using in version 14.4 was:
ENHANCED_LOGGING_PROP = "OurIncludedDatabaseSoftwareLogging"

I also use the variable ENHANCED_LOGGING_PROP in other places in the AI product without problems. I can evaluate logic on that variable over in Server, SQL Databases and also over in Custom Behavior, Custom Actions.

Now in 14.5.1, the Feature-based conditional controlled prerequisite installer never kicks off - unless I have only the string value "1" in the 'Installed if:' field.

Is there a change to the best practice for evaluating conditionals in the Organization Features section in AI? What can I do to make this work again?

Thanks!
Eusebiu

Re: Did feature based condition evaluation change?

Hi,

I tested the scenario and, indeed, I reproduced the problem. This seems to be an Advanced Installer issue. We will fix this very soon in an point release version of Advanced Installer, thank you for bringing it to our attention.

Just let me know if you have other questions.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
InstallerBldr

Thank you for reproducing this so quickly.

Roughly what kind of timeframe are we looking at for a hotfix you think?
Eusebiu

Hi,

The 14.5.2 version which includes the fix was already released this morning. You can install it and build your package with it.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
InstallerBldr

Now the Pre-install packages don't fire off.

Before if a machine didn't have .NET 4.6.2, our installer went out and grabbed it from Location 'Download single file from URL' and auto installed .NET.

Now the installer stops with the message "MyProduct cannot be installed on systems with .NET Framework version lower than 4.6.2."

It worked in 14.4. We have frozen dev on our installer until this is resolved, so there have been no changes to the AI project other than those introduced by upgrading to 14.5.1 and 14.5.2
Eusebiu

Hi,

I'm not sure why this problem appears. Can you please send me your .AIP (project file) and a verbose log of the installation to support at advancedinstaller dot com, so I can investigate them?

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu

Hi,

I looked over the configurations of your project and I noticed that the "Check predefined launch conditions before searching for prerequisites" option checked in the "Prerequisites" page, "Packages" view. Was that option not selected in your project in versions 14.4 and 14.5.1?

In this case, the conditions set in the "Launch Conditions" tab will be evaluated before the prerequisites are installed and the installation will be blocked if they are not fulfilled. Can you uncheck that option and see if it works?

Best regards,
Eusebiu
InstallerBldr

Looks good Eusebiu,

Thanks!
Eusebiu

You're welcome. Glad to help.

Best regards,
Eusebiu

Return to “Common Problems”