PaulK

Compression Files with Enhanced User Interface

Hi

In my aip project I've selected Always(install, uninstall and maintenance) and in the Build Single EXE Setup(resources inside), for archive I have selected Archive installation files using LZMA compression (Method : LMZA - Level Normal).... the problems happens with all conpressions. Do not delete extracted MSI and Cab file NOT selected, and in Product Details - Override Windows Installer programs list entry - Selected.

When a deploy my installation to my VM the installation loads with no problems. When I go to Uninstall a Program from the Control Panel and select to Modify or Repair the UI starts up and then I get the following warning :-

Source file not found : C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\xxx\Version Number\install\E543A30\MyApp.exe. Verify that the file exists and that you can use it, Abort, Retry or Ignore buttons.

Now if I select Do not delete extracted MSI and try again the problem goes away but I expose all my resources in the install folder (which I don't want to do) and they remain on the users system even when uninstalled. If I select Archive installation files into CAB files, Compress CAB files for smaller size and again do NOT have the Do not delete extracted MSI.... selected then I do not get the problem but my exe is 15mb larger than it needs to be.

So what do I need to do to use Compression with Enhanced UI and the Do not delete extracted MSI not selected.

Look forward to your reply.
Daniel

Re: Compression Files with Enhanced User Interface

Hello,

I've tested the scenario in several samples built with AI 14.5.2 but cannot replicate the issue. Can you replicate the issue using a new sample project? If so can you please send it us so we can test and investigate it?

Otherwise please send us the .aip (project file) to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate its settings.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
PaulK

Hi

I have sent you an email with attached files. Please pay attention to the Override Windows Installer Program list entry, I believe this is where the problem may be.

Look forward to your reply.
PaulK

Hi

More information. I only get the Abort, Retry when clicking on the links inside the Control Panel - Uninstall a Program facility. If run from the original exe you can modify and repair with no problem. The problem happens only when you have loaded the software onto a Standard User where Admin rights were required to install the software. For now I have selected not to Modify and Repair in the Control Panel.

Look forward to your response.

Kind Regards
Daniel

Hello Paul,

I've tested your setup package but I cannot replicate the error. Could you please send us a detailed test case we can follow to replicate the issue you are facing with?

Also, as a side note, I've observed that you sent project do not have the "Enhanced User Interface" feature enabled. Can you replicate the error when this feature is disabled too?

All the best,
Daniel
PaulK

Thank you for your reply which I received through email. I will leave it posted here as it might help somebody else in the future.

So not to leave unwanted files on a clients machine once the software has been deleted (if I use the Do Not delete option) I opt for the disable Modify and disable Repair in the Control Panel and not to select the override. If the user needs to Modify or Repair they can use the original EXE file. Perhaps you can include a warning to users when building an EXE that if they select to use the Overide Control Panel then while using a 'Enhanced' setup then this error will appear if they do not have Do Not Delete extracted MSI and CABS files selected.

Thank you for your time on this matter.

---------------------------------------------

Hello Paul,

I've tested your setup package and replicated the error. However, please keep in mind this behavior is caused due to the Windows Installer design.

At install time Windows Installer caches only the MSI installation database but not the installation files too. Thus during the maintenance mode (e.g. repair or modify) you will have to provide again the original setup package so that the installation files be accessed.

To avoid this behavior the only option will be to use the "Do not delete extracted MSI and CAB files" option from "Builds" page -> "Configuration" tab.

https://www.advancedinstaller.com/user- ... n-tab.html

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel

Thank you for your follow up on this Paul and for your suggestion to improve our application.

I've forwarded your suggestion to our development team and hopefully they will consider it in a future version of our application.

All the best,
Daniel

Return to “Common Problems”