applejack

uninstall cleanup checkbox skipped

Hi,

Using the following options checked, the uninstall cleanup checkbox / dialog is skipped:
- Product Details \ Add or Remove Programs \ Disable Modify
- Product Details \ Add or Remove Programs \ Disable Repair
- Themes \ Settings \ Use Enhanced User Interface (Always)

I know the cleanup checkbox is supposed to show at the VerifyRemoveDlg, but since the MaintenanceTypeDlg is skipped (as I disable Modify/Repair), it simply performs the cleanup by default without user intervention.

A cleanup dialog showed before I enabled the enhanced UI for uninstall.
How can I setup the cleanup dialog / checkbox to show with Enhanced UI and disabled modify/repair ?

Thanks.
Daniel

Re: uninstall cleanup checkbox skipped

Hello and welcome to our forums,

I'm afraid I don't fully get what you mean? Could you please give us more details (maybe attach a screenshot) about which uninstall cleanup checkbox you are referring to?

Also, if you could post a small sample replicating the behavior this will be useful too.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
applejack

I've used the "Uninstall Cleanup Wizard" in order to clean leftovers at uninstall.
uninstall_cleanup_checkbox.PNG
uninstall_cleanup_checkbox.PNG (20.89 KiB) Viewed 2700 times
when not using the Enhanced UI, user get a dialog to remove settings and temporary files:
uninstall_cleanup_dialog.PNG
uninstall_cleanup_dialog.PNG (4.11 KiB) Viewed 2700 times
when using the Enhanced UI at uninstall, user get a checkbox to remove settings and temporary files:
uninstall_cleanup.PNG
uninstall_cleanup.PNG (15.57 KiB) Viewed 2700 times
however, if checking "Override Windows Installer programs list entry" in "Product Details" tab,
and checking both "Disable Modify" and "Disable Repair", then no dialog nor checkbox is shown to user at uninstall.

if I leave "Disable Modify" unchecked, then from Add and Remove Programs user can select "Change" instead of "Uninstall", then select "Remove" from the maintenance dialog (Modify/Repair/Remove) and on the next dialog the checkbox is available for user.

the thing is, I do not want the user to pass by the Modify/Repair options. I want to allow "Remove" only.
for this reason I "Disable Modify", but then the user would not have the option to decide whether to remove settings and temporary files or not.
applejack

attached an aip reconstructing this behavior:
- setting up the Uninstall Cleanup Wizard on main application folder.
- using Enhanced User Interface for uninstall.
- overriding windows installer programs list entry (while disabling modify & repair).
enhancedui.png
enhancedui.png (4.54 KiB) Viewed 2694 times
add_remove_settings.png
add_remove_settings.png (10.26 KiB) Viewed 2694 times

resulting in no option for user to decide on removal of settings and temporary files.
uninstall_cleanup.aip
(27.38 KiB) Downloaded 188 times
Daniel

Hello,

Thank you for your follow up on this and for the detailed replication steps.

Indeed, this seems to be an Advanced Installer limitation when the disable modify and repair options are used. I've added this fix on our TODO list and hopefully it will be available in the future.

We will update this thread when a fix will be out. Until then the only workaround will be not to use the disable modify and repair options.

All the best,
Daniel
applejack

Hello,

Firstly, thanks for adding a fix to the TODO list.

While at it, I've also noticed that with the mentioned configuration I cannot force a reboot dialog/checkbox at uninstall (SetProperty of [REBOOT] to FORCE). I know it doesn't work via custom actions when using the Enhance UI at uninstall, and requires to be alternatively setup via Dialogs ("Published Events" of some button), but in this case (disabled Modify/Repair) there is no available dialog to modify for SetProperty.

Hope this can be addressed along with the previous issue.

FYI, in the meantime I choose to manipulate the installer in the following manner to overcome both issues:
- Product Details \ Use a single "Uninstall/Change" button instead of separate buttons for each operation
- modify the existing Maintenance Dialogs to be used for removal only, with as few user steps as possible, by editing / deleting / hiding irrelevant buttons and dialogs.

overall I'm quite satisfied with this workaround, although it's a pain to setup.

Thanks in advance and best regards.
Daniel

Thank you for your posted workaround.

We will update this thread as soon as fix is available.

All the best,
Daniel

Return to “Common Problems”