hoanghuynh

Update multiple products under same company

We have been using Advanced Installer and Updater (with Professional License) to create installation files and push updates to our application. So far, it has been working fine and dandy.
We have a new requirement where we need to install 2 applications one after the other.
Here is a brief description of what I have tried so far to achieve this.

I created a Setup_Laptop.aip that creates the Laptop.exe. (APPDIR - C:\Program Files (x86)\Saltus Technologies\digiTICKET)
I created a Setup_M2M.aip that creates the M2M.exe. This has a custom action to create 2 task schedulers. (APPDIR - C:\Program Files (x86)\Saltus Technologies\MobiletoMobile).
I created a MainInstaller.aip that has 2 Pre-install URL prerequisites. This is the exe that will be shipped to the customer. On launching this, it will download the Laptop.exe and M2M.exe from a URL. This MainInstaller is just a onetime use (for first installation). Further application specific updates will be pushed from either Laptop.aip or M2M.aip.

While the installation of the applications work fine, I’m having trouble updating them as a STANDARD USER with no admin rights. In the past, we have had no issues updating the application as a standard user (please keep in mind that we have only installed and updated a single application so far). I have set the “Install Support Service” in both the Setup aips and have set the “Install Update without elevation” in the updates config file.

When updating the Laptop application (pushed through Setup_laptop.aip and its updates.aip) as a STANDARD USER, I get the "You must be an administrator to remove this application.." message. In the past, the updater did not show these messages but would silently install the update and restart the app.

- I have made sure that my files are setup as explained here - https://www.advancedinstaller.com/user- ... dates.html

- I also tried to install the Setup_Laptop and Setup_M2M separately by just running their respective exes (and ignored the MainApplication.exe). For that, I changed the company names (added a LLC to Laptop’s) so that they do not install under the same folder in the APPDIR, ie., Laptop.exe will be installed under (APPDIR - C:\Program Files (x86)\Saltus Technologies LLC\digiTICKET) and M2M will be installed under (APPDIR - C:\Program Files (x86)\Saltus Technologies\digiTICKET). I wanted to see if installing 2 products under 2 different folders will let me update them with no issue but this didn’t work out either. I got the same message as above.

- I also tried setting the Bootstrapper UI to Silent Install (No UI) and MSI command line to “/qn” in Bootstrapper options. This didn’t help either.

- I have made sure the ProductCode and UpgradeCode are set different. Also I change the product code before pushing an update.

We are trying to deploy this application in 3 days. Any advice on how I can fix this is greatly appreciated.
I have emailed the aip files to support@advancedinstaller.com

Thanks,
Eusebiu

Re: Update multiple products under same company

Hi and welcome to Advanced Installer forums.

In order to achieve what you want you can follow the steps below:
- enable the "Install support service" option in the "Setup_Laptop.aip" project, then go in the "Services" page and set a suggestive name for the updater service
- do the same things in the "Setup_M2M.aip" project
- create an "Updates Configuration" project that will be related to the "Laptop" application and check the "Install updates without elevation" option
- do the same things for the "M2M" application
- place the resulted "updater.txt" files on your server
- add the "Laptop" and "M2M" packages as prerequisites to the "MainInstaller.aip" project (it is not necessary to enable the Updater for this project)

When the user will install the "MainInstaller" package, the initial version of the "Laptop" and "M2M" applications will be installed. After that, he can run the updater related to each of the two applications and they will be updated separately.

Let me know if this helped, otherwise give me more details about your scenario.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”