elou

Unattended friendly MSI

Hello,
I'd like to build an MSI file to install my package without any dialogs, and it should wait until everything has been installed.
I could start

Code: Select all

MSIEXEC.EXE /i mypackage.msi /qn
but in that case, MSIEXEC returns immediately and install the package in background.
Is there a way to configure the setup so that it waits until everything has been installed and let me now if everything has been done with a return code?
This is usefull for installation which are launched from a script.
regards,
Éric.
Sorin

Re: Unattended friendly MSI

Hello,

You could create a Verbose log by appending "/L*V C:\log\example.log" command to your command line.

The log will contain various information regarding the installation. For more details regarding this subject please take a look on this article: How Do I Read a Windows Installer Verbose Log File?

Best regards,
Sorin
Sorin Stefan - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
elou

Hello,
I'm not sure if you understand my question, what I need is that the msiexec command do not return before everything has been installed (in silent mode)
Actually if you launch

msiexec.exe /i mypackage.msi /L*V install.log
the command will return immediately and the installation runs in background.
Of course, I can use

start /wait msiexec.exe /i mypackage.msi /L*V install.log
but it would be useful when the installer force this behaviour. So I could be sure that our customer do not start to test our application before it has really been installed.
Regards, Éric
Daniel

Hello Éric,

I'm afraid we do not have support for your requirement. This was why my colleague suggested you to try using the log check approach.

Thank you for your understanding.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”