Zsolt Kollarits

Powershell transcript TXT files appear at install time

Dear Advanced Installer Support Team,

Few customers of ours started to complain that lot of TXT files appear in their Documents folder while they´re upgrading our product. All the files names look like this or similar:
PowerShell_transcript.VIE1QACL83.00mf6PwZ.20180123120208.txt

The pattern is that 3 files appear while installing our product, 1 right after they click on our EXE and the other 2 during install time. Furthermore some other TXTs might appear when uninstalling our product. You can imagine how many "dummy" files appeared in the folder already.

Advanced Installer version we use: 14.5.1
OSs the customers use: windows 10, server 2008, server 2012

I have a feeling your "Run Powershell inline script" type of custom actions are creating those TXT files, we have 4-5 custom actions with that type.

Questions:
1. Is it possible to prevent those files from being created?
2. If not, then it´d be good to define a different location where those file can go. Customers are unhappy about having those files in their Documents folder.

Thanks in adavance!

Best regards,
Zsolt
Eusebiu

Re: Powershell transcript TXT files appear at install time

Hi Zsolt,

We are not aware of such files created by our PowerShell custom action. Can you tell me what those files contain? Do they appear on all the machines?

I found that they are created if some specific PowerShell feature is used in the code. You can see this in the "Create a Transcript of What You Do in Windows PowerShell" article.

Do you use this feature in your custom actions?

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
Zsolt Kollarits

Hi Eusebiu,

Thanks for the quick answer and for the link you sent me, it was helping me to modify our inline PowerShell scripts in a way that transcript files go to a different location now.

Best regards,
Zsolt
Eusebiu

You're always welcome Zsolt. I'm glad I could help.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”