drago666

Launch after successful update (using Support Service)

Hi,

I'm using the support service for performing updates without UAC prompt. Everything works fine, but I'm not able to
restart the application after a successful update.

What I have tried til now:
- custom action in setup project => will not work because of installer support service
- auto-close feature => does not work reliable (terminal services, multiple modal dialogs etc..)
- updater.exe command line argument => works only if the update fails, but not when successful
- hack searching for updater.exe process, wait for process to finish, restart app => I cannot distinguish between successful/failed update

Any ideas on this?

Thanks in advance,
Regards

here some links I have already checked:
viewtopic.php?t=34748
viewtopic.php?t=28725
Daniel

Re: Launch after successful update (using Support Service)

Hello and welcome to our forums,

If your application is an UI app, then you should not launch it from your setup project. This is because the Updater (when "Install support service" option is enabled) will launch the updates setup under LocalSystem account. Thus no UI will be shown for processes triggered by the updates setup package.

The correct way to achieve what you want would be to use the "Auto-Close Application" feature of the Updater. This can be configured from your updates configuration project -> "Updates" page "Auto-Close Application" tab. If this still doesn't work, can you please give us more details about the issue you are facing with? It will be very useful if you could replicate the behavior in a small sample and send it us to fully install and test on our side.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”