Dear Advanced Installer Support Team,
Let me report a very strange problem for you, unfortunately this is extremely important for one of our customers, so we need to figure out a solution for them no later than next week. Their issue is the following: they would like to make a default feature to be removed from our product during an upgrade performed by your Advanced Updater (update config file) feature.
Note: We started to use your Advanced Updater feature long time ago, we give proper update config files for all of our customers. The standard files we give are correct since many customers are using it already.
The problem started to happen after we modified our Update Config .aip project and added the following text into the "Command line" field:
I´ll send you our .aip project via an email.
If we gave the refreshed update config file for our customer and he fed Advanced Updated with that file, the update process started as usual, apparently it did some progress too, cause it took some time until they got the following error:
Error: Update installation failed
I´ll send you a screenshot image about this as well.
We confirmed that having that defining the CommandLine in the update config .aip project and generating such a file cannot be fed to Advanced Updater feature, because the installation will be unsuccessful every time. Without having "REMOVE=TheSolutionDesigner" in Command Line field, the update would go just fine.
Now comes the most important part: Although you dialog showed the given error, the installation logfile does not contain any error. We saw a lot of installation logs already, and this one seemed to be a log where no error occured. We see the following lines at the end of the file:
MSI (s) (6C:9C) [13:41:14:774]: Product: PRODUCT_NAME -- Installation completed successfully.
MSI (s) (6C:9C) [13:41:14:774]: Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: PRODUCT_NAME . Product Version: 17.3.1. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: XY Corporation. Installation success or error status: 0.
Anyway, I'm sending you the logfile too in the email. It says the installation was complete, but we still see the old version of our procut in Control Panel -> Programs and Features dialog. Somehow the new product was not installed on the PC or else it was rolled back.
I hope we can find a solution quickly. Sorry for the long letter, as you can see the issue is really complex.