ruturaaj

[RESOLVED] How to clear/uninstall errorneous Installer?

Hello,

Scenario
I'm new to Advanced Installer and recently created an installation setup for one of our application. This application needs to install Windows Shell Menu extension. We have written the extension registration utility, which is included in the application installation setup. I used Custom Actions and set this utility to run with required command line arguments just before the Finish screen is shown. Same is done for the Uninstall; the utility is executed just after "Preparing" to uninstall the Shell Extension.

Problem
I think there is some problem in the way command line arguments passed to the registration utility, as a result of which Installation setup installed application with error.

So, I tried to Uninstall the application from Control Panel. However same erroneous command line arguments are passed to the registration utility at the time of Uninstall as well, and so Uninstall fails, rolls back and eventually the application is not uninstalled.

I tried to changed the version number and make a new installer with improved code for Custom Actions, in anticipation that it will overwrite the current installation. But it prompts me that another version of application is already installed and so attempts to uninstall the existing application and eventually fails with the same error as mentioned in the paragraph above.

Need Help...
Can someone please tell me how can I manually remove this installation so I can test my new installer? Also, what is the best work-flow of making and testing installation setup to avoid this situation in future?

Waiting for your reply...

Thanks!

Ruturaaj.
Last edited by ruturaaj on Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel

Re: How to clear/uninstall errorneous Installer?

Hello Ruturaaj,

Thank you for using Advanced Installer.

This could happen if you do not generated a new ProductCode when changed the ProductVersion. However, to avoid this behavior, during the setup developing and testing phase you can build an EXE setup package and enable the "Uninstall a package with the same version (if found)" option from "Builds" page -> "Configuration" tab.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
ruturaaj

Hello Daniel,

Thanks for your reply. You mentioned to select "Uninstall a package with the same version (if found)" ... this is where my wrong command line argument is causing trouble and the application is not uninstalled while installing the same version. Therefore, I wish to uninstall the current installation setup either manually or if there is any forced method of uninstall.

Your reply certainly tells me what should I do in order to avoid this situation in future. However, "how to overcome the current installation which is not getting cleared" is still to be addressed. Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Ruturaaj.
Daniel

Hello Ruturaaj,

To fix the broken installation you could just update your custom action to a working configuration, rebuild the setup project and then recache the newly rebuilt MSI on the system. For instance you could just uncheck the "Fail installation if custom action returns an error" option for your custom action and then rebuild and recache the MSI.

Please take a look on our "How do I remove a broken installation?" faq.

Let us know if this helped.

All the best,
Daniel
ruturaaj

Please take a look on our "How do I remove a broken installation?" faq.
This helped me, thanks! Just to keep submitted, I also used Disk Cleanup Utility from Control Panel - Administrative Utilities which eventually helped me to remove all the traces. Having said this, I'm glad to report that the issue is resolved.
Daniel

Re: [RESOLVED] How to clear/uninstall errorneous Installer?

Thank you for your follow up on this.

I'm glad you overcame this.

All the best,
Daniel

Return to “Common Problems”