ncoish

Nested Prerequisites not triggering

Hi All,

I have two products that I would like to occasionally package together as an installer which contains the other two product installers as prerequisites. The problem that I'm having is that the two sub-installers have their own prerequisites (MSVC redistributables mostly), which need to be installed in order for them to run. The master installer triggers each of the two sub-installers to install, but does not trigger their MSVC redistributable prerequisites to install. I have gotten around this by manually specifying that the MSVC redistrib prerequisites are also prerequisites of the master installer, but this means I have to package the MSVC redistributables twice, bloating the installer unnecessarily, and making the entire project harder to maintain. Is there a way to ensure that nested installer prerequisites are automatically triggered?

EDIT: I am adding the two sub-installers as "Chained Prerequisites" if that makes a difference.
Dan

Re: Nested Prerequisites not triggering

Hello,
EDIT: I am adding the two sub-installers as "Chained Prerequisites" if that makes a difference.
I think this is the problem. In order to be sure this is the case, can you please add those prerequisites as a feature-based prerequisites in the master install and see if the behavior persists?

For details, please check the Creating Suite Installations article.

Should there be any difficulty you encounter implementing something, please do not hesitate to contact me and I will gladly assist.

Best regards,
Dan
Dan Ghiorghita - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
ncoish

Hi Dan,

Thank you very much for your reply. I tried packaging my components as feature-based prerequisites, and indeed the sub-prerequisites get installed properly. However, this gives me several new problems:

1) As chained prerequisites, all included installations would be installed from a single GUI. As feature-based prerequisites, the full installers are run as though I had installed each component individually. This adds extra steps for the user to have to click through that I would rather have them avoid.

2) As chained prerequisites, when I uninstall the master installer, it also uninstalls the chained prerequisites. As feature-based prerequisites, they remain installed when the master installer is removed.

Is there any way to retain all of the behaviour of chained prerequisites, and still be able to ensure the nested prerequisites are installed?
Daniel

Hello,

To launch your prerequisites silently (without UI) you can proceed like this:
1. go to "Prerequisites" page and select your prerequisite item
2. go to "Setup Files" tab and in the "Install Command Lines" fields add a silent install command line to be used by your prerequisite

Then, to remove the prerequisite on main setup uninstall you should

3. check the "Uninstall using this command line" option from the same prerequisite settings and use an uninstall command line for your prerequisite

Let us know if this helped.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”