m.qayyum

Weird exe setup infected reported by virustotal

Hi
Yesterday I create an exe setup for my software, everything went as usual, and i updated my software on sites. To my surprise, today softpedia and cnet reported that file is infected. I changed the setup type to msi, no detections. What is going on?

I have scanned all my files individually, no virustotal reports.

Exe scan result
https://www.virustotal.com/#/file/826e0 ... /detection

Msi scan result
https://www.virustotal.com/#/file/6db66 ... /detection

I'm using 14.5.2 version

Thanks
m.qayyum

Re: Weird exe setup infected reported by virustotal

Can someone investigate the issue?
Eusebiu

Hi,

Indeed, I see that your EXE package is detected by some antivirus software, while the MSI package is clean. To avoid this in Advanced Installer, we always scan our new versions on VirusTotal and submit any false detection for white-listing to the antivirus vendors that detect us.

Can you try to build your package with the latest version of Advanced Installer and see if the problem persists?

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
Eusebiu

Hi,

I apologize for the delayed reply.

I've tested the scenario and I replicated the detection. I can assure you this is a false positive detection. We will submit a false positive ticket to the antivirus vendors and hopefully they will manage to fix and prevent such false positives in the future.

In the meantime I strongly recommend you to also submit to the antivirus vendors your built setup packages so they be whitelisted. This is a best practice and this way you will avoid such unpleasant detections. Nowadays the antivirus heuristics is changing on a daily basis and they become more and more aggressive. The best solution to avoid such false detection is to whitelist all of your built setup packages.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”