DiegoCP

Uninstall package with same version (if found)

Hello,

i have a question related to this option. at this point the uninstall of same version is before user even selects to install again and this causes
some issues because even if i cancel the reinstall of same version , it has already been uninstalled from the pc and control panel etc..

Is there anyway to make this run only after user presses install, or rollback in case of user cancelling.
Or maybe just allow install as overwrite install just copy files over.

Is it possible to do an overwrite install?

Thank You.

Best Regards,
Diego.
DiegoCP

Re: Uninstall package with same version (if found)

This is very is very crucial for us. Basically we want the same version to work the same as an old version.

Show Language Dialog and uninstall only when custom action "Uninstall older product versions" runs.

Right now the fact that it removes the same version even before the user installs is a problem.

These are related viewtopic.php?f=2&t=35166
Eusebiu

Hi Diego,

I'm afraid that Windows Installer does not support the installation of the same version over the one that is already installed. It either goes to the maintenance mode or displays the "Another version of this product is already installed..." message.

When the "Uninstall package with same version (if found)" option is selected, the uninstall of the already installed version and the reinstall are done by the EXE Bootstrapper in two separate sessions, thus if the install session is canceled, it is impossible to rollback the uninstall session, too.

If you want to just overwrite a version, you can uncheck the "Register product with Windows Installer" option from the "Product Details" page, but in this case the maintenance and the uninstall of that version cannot be handled through Windows Installer anymore.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
DiegoCP

Hello Eusebiu,

Thank you for your help.

Ok so after reading this we decided to do a different aproach but will still need help.

So we removed the "Uninstall package with same version (if found)" option. Now it shows the maintenance ui, i want to have a button shown but only in this case when i am trying to install the same version, by this i mean this button must not shown in any other case but when i double click to install same version.

If i go to the control panel to uninstall the button must not be shown there.

Basically i need to shown one button if uninstall via double click exe (when same version is installed)
and hide when using control panel uninstall :S

How can i do this?

Thank You.

Best Regards,
Diego.
Eusebiu

Hi Diego,

To achieve this, you can go in the "Dialogs" page and add your button on one of the dialogs from the "Maintenance" section, then go in the "Product Details" page and select the "Disable Modify" option. Also make sure that the "Always" option is not set for the "Enhanced User Interface" feature in the "Themes" page, "Settings" tab.

In this case, the maintenance dialogs will never be shown when you uninstall the package from Control Panel.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”