LaughingJohn

Visual Studio Extension Version Pain

Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:51 am

I seem to get this problem every time you update something where the Visual Studio version add-in and the version of Advanced Installer version get out of sync and my project (in VS) will no longer load.

My example from today:
  • I was running V4.5.2.
    I open visual studio and find that my setup project won't load (incompatible).
    I check and the extension appears to have updated itself to V4.6
    I update Advanced installer to the latest, which turns out to be V4.7
    Extension still will not load, but it now allows me to up update the extension to V4.7
    Forces me to reboot Visual Studio
    Finally everything works again...
This is a PIA. On the whole I'm fairly happy to receive updates but I would prefer to have a choice when I install them.

Anyone else having this issue? I'm not quite sure why the extension seems to update itself sometimes, any ideas?

Eusebiu

Re: Visual Studio Extension Version Pain

Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:59 pm

Hi,

In order to disable the automatic updates for a Visual Studio extension, you can go to "Tools -> Extensions", select an installed extension and uncheck the "Automatically update this extension" option from the right as shown in the attached screenshot.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Attachments
AI Extension.png
AI Extension.png (71.7KiB)Viewed 17486 times
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

LaughingJohn

Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:21 pm

Bit late but having had the same problem again today I popped back to check. Thanks Eusebiu I will disable it.

That said, it would be nice if the project didn't get disabled unless there was a breaking change, I can't imagine that every extension update is breaking (apart from the version number).

Bogdan

Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:34 pm

Hi,

This problem will be soon fixed, starting with version 15.0 and future releases coming this summer.

We have re-written completely the way our VS extension communicates with Advanced Installer to make it possible for you to have different versions of the VS extension and AI installed without encountering this annoying error.

Until then please use the workaround suggested by Eusebiu.

Regards,
Bogdan
Bogdan Mitrache - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”