rafalD

Installation fails with 1603 error code on AI_AiRestoreDeferred action

Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:35 am

Hi, one of our clients has encountered a problem during installation of our software and we have problems in finding the root cause.

Generally the installation seems to proceed normally i.e files are copied, entries are added to registry, services are installed but in the very end of the process it suddenly starts to roll back. I have asked the client to perform the install with logging switched on. I compared it with the log from successful installation on my machine and it seems that one of the steps in installation finalize fails. I copy+paste a couple of lines of log below:

Action : AI_AiRestoreDeferred. Executing restore operation
MSI (s) (D0:34) [09:10:18:044]: Executing op: CustomActionSchedule(Action=AI_AiRestoreDeferred,ActionType=11265,Source=BinaryData,Target=**********,)
MSI (s) (D0:04) [09:10:18:050]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\Windows\Installer\MSIDF7C.tmp, Entrypoint: OnAiRestoreDeferred
CustomAction AI_AiRestoreDeferred returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)
Action ended 09:10:19: InstallFinalize. Return value 3.

I assume that there is some problem during executing one of AIs custom actions in this case AI_AiRestoreDeferred. Now I wonder if there might be any special machine/os (Win7 Sp1) configurations that may cause this step to fail? If yes could you provide us with some guidance about possible reasons?

Apart from above is there anything that could be changed in the installer aip file to prevent the fail on this particular step (e.g. omit it if its not critical, continue on fail)?

Best regards,

Rafał

Daniel

Re: Installation fails with 1603 error code on AI_AiRestoreDeferred action

Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:03 pm

Hello Rafał,

Welcome to our forums.

Indeed, the related custom action is an Advanced Installer proprietary action used by our "Files and Folders Preserve" feature. More exactly by our "Do not overwrite existing files" option.

The related action could fail due to various reasons when try to restore the backuped resources at install time. There could be file permissions issues, insufficient disk space, an antivirus product which falsely block the restore operation, etc. To detect the source problem of this failure it will be very useful if you could replicate the error consistently.

To always continue the installation even when our restore file action fails you can proceed like this:

1. go to "Table Editor" page and select the "CustomAction" table
2. edit the "AI_AiRestoreDeferred" action type from 11265 to 11329
3. rebuild and test again the setup

Please note that our "Table Editor" feature can be used only within an "Enterprise" or higher project type.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”