SpeedSurfer491

Use from Personal certificate store

Hi!

While trying to digitally sign my installation project I select "Use from Personal certificate store", but when I click the down arrow in the combo-box Advanced Installer get totally unresponsive. Any thoughts why this is so?

/Jesper
DuduGabay

Re: Use from Personal certificate store

Hi,

I also have the same problem, I'm using Adnacerd Installer 14.7 trial version.
When I chose the 'Use from Personal certificate store' it get stuck for few minutes and than suddenly return to work properly at some point.

Please advise.
Eusebiu

Hi and welcome to our forums.

I apologize for the delayed reply.

I tested the scenario, but I could not reproduce the problem. Can you please tell me which Operating Systems are you encountering this problem on? Does it always happen when you select the combobox? Do you have a large number of certificates in the Personal store? Can you please send me a screenshot of them ("certmgr.msc -> Personal -> Certificate" window) to support at advancedinstaller dot com?

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
DuduGabay

Eusebiu wrote:Hi and welcome to our forums.

I apologize for the delayed reply.

I tested the scenario, but I could not reproduce the problem. Can you please tell me which Operating Systems are you encountering this problem on? Does it always happen when you select the combobox? Do you have a large number of certificates in the Personal store? Can you please send me a screenshot of them ("certmgr.msc -> Personal -> Certificate" window) to support at advancedinstaller dot com?

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Hi,

I'm working on Windows 10.
It always happen when I create a new Installer, my certificate is EV Code Signing certificate on a USB Token.
I have only 2 certificates in the Personal store (see image attached).

Please advise.

Thank you.

Dudu
Attachments
certificates.jpg
certificates.jpg (129.78 KiB) Viewed 4372 times
Eusebiu

Hi Dudu,

Thank you for the details.

We tested this on few Windows 10 machine, but we were still not able to reproduce the problem. Do you reproduce this with the latest version (14.8), too?

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
mdjorby

We are having exactly the same combo-box issue, when under Digital Signature we try the combo-box under "Use from Personal certificate store:" it hangs forever, although the personal certificate store only contains a couple of all valid certificates.

We are using Advanced Installer 14.5, and there were no problem under Windows 7,
but after we updated the machine to Windows 10 Pro version 1909 this issue started.

We tried installing the Windows Software Development Kit for Windows 10,
and for Digital Signatures using the external tool, which the installer configured without user interaction.
But the combo-box issue that hangs remains the same, which is a bit troublesome as we every 3 years get a
new code-signing certificate and need to select it for signing.

The only workaround we have found so far is to edit the aip file in a text editor, and replace the entry
with the correct code-signing certificate, example:
<COMPONENT cid="caphyon.advinst.msicomp.DigCertStoreComponent">
<ROW TimeStampUrl="http://rfc3161timestamp.globalsign.com/advanced" SignOptions="7" SignTool="0" UseSha256="1" Thumbprint="... Subject: ...;Issuer: ..;Valid from 12/17/2019 to 01/17/2023"/>
</COMPONENT>
Then signing during building works fine.

We suspect this issue is resolved already with a newer version of Advanced Installer.
Catalin

Hello and welcome to Advanced Installer forums,

Starting with version 16.4 of Advanced Installer, we updated the code that lists the certificates. We believe that this change has removed the delay and improved criteria for selecting certificates.

Unfortunately, as we were never able to replicate this behavior, I can not say for sure if this will fix your issue or not.

However, you can maybe download Advanced Installer:

https://www.advancedinstaller.com/download.html

and install it on a Virtual Machine in trial mode. After doing so, you can re-test the scenario and see if that helps.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team

Return to “Common Problems”