karthick.k

Unable to preinstall .NET Framework 4.6.1 in Windows server 2008 R2

Hello,

Unable preinstall .NET Framework 4.6.1 in Windows server 2008 R2 operating system.

we are using Advanced installer v12.8.

Recently i added the prerequisite, for installing the .NET Framework version 4.6.1 before installing our product.
We found it was working fine, Windows server 2012 Operating system, but not in Windows server 2008 R2.
Please review the log file attached and assist us.

Thank you.
Attachments
i21_18.12.0419.177.log.zip
(71.02 KiB) Downloaded 272 times
Daniel

Re: Unable to preinstall .NET Framework 4.6.1 in Windows server 2008 R2

Hello,

I'm not sure why this happens. We tested your scenario and the .NET Framework 4.6.1 prerequisite was installed correctly on Windows server 2008 R2 machines.

Also, looking over your log file it seems there is one of your custom action (cgetvaliddefaultdrive) which fails and generates an installation failure. Does this help you? Can you test and investigate your custom action implementation?

If this is still of no help, please forward us by email to support at advancedinstaller dot com your AIP (project file) and a test case we can follow to replicate the issue?

Also, for testing purposes we always recommend to be used virtual machines with clean states so that when something goes wrong you can easily revert to a clean state of the virtual machine.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
karthick.k

Hello Daniel,

Yes, we have a custom action cgetvaliddefaultdrive, which will run in .NET Framework 4.6 since the framework 4.6 is not installed in prerequisite, this custom action will be fail.

I am sending the project file in email, please check and let us know, asap.

Thank you.
Daniel

Hello,

We did not receive your email by now, but we will look forward to your email.

Just make sure you sent it to support at advancedinstaller dot com.

All the best,
Daniel
karthick.k

Hello Daniel,

I have resent the email, please check. If you still not received my email, please download the project files from the below link
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gRw0B ... 4KEmcjt531

Thank you.
Daniel

Hello,

Thank you for your sent files. We tested your setup installation and the .Net prerequisite was always installed successfully.

From our tests it seems there is a problem with your custom actions which are failing even when the .Net Framework is already installed on the system, before launching the setup package. Can you please try to debug and troubleshoot your custom action functionality?

For testing purposes we always recommend to be used virtual machines with clean states so that when something goes wrong you can easily revert to a clean state of the virtual machine.

All the best,
Daniel
karthick.k

Hello Daniel,

I tried manually installing .Net Framework 4.6.1 and ran the installer, it was working. The custom action cgetvaliddefaultdrive is a .net program that runs in .net Framework v4.6.1.

So if I install .Net Framework 4.6.1 first, then it works. That is why, we are trying to make the .Net Framework 4.6.1 as prerequisite and install it before starting our install.

Thank you.
Daniel

Hello,

Maybe you need to trigger a computer reboot after .Net 4.6.1 prerequisite installation. Can you please proceed like this:

1. go to "Prerequisites" page and select your .Net prerequisite item
2. go to "Install Conditions" tab and enable the "Install prerequisite based on conditions" option
3. go to "Properties" tab and enable the "Reboot system after installing this prerequisite" option
4. rebuild and test again the setup package

Also, please make sure you run your tests on multiple clean machines.

All the best,
Daniel

Return to “Common Problems”