ldvbarrett

silent Option on Updater Not Working

We have an application that has updater functionality filled out in the project. We have chose to launch the updater on our application startup per the tutorial for C# that creates a thread and creates and runs the updater.exe with the /silent command line.

I have verified that the process is launched and returns with an exit code of 0. If I am reading the docs correctly, a 0 means it has found an update to install. However as I stated, no update UI is shown for the user to download and install it.

The problem is that I know there is an update available, but no UI is displayed to actually download and install. I have tried this immediately after clean installing a previous version of the app so no check had already been made. I have launched the app after manually removing the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Caphyon\Advanced Updater\{our app GUID} key in the registry. After removing from the registry if I run updater.exe /configure I can verify that the next check date time is current date time.

If I change our code to launch updater.exe with arguments of /checknow -minuseractions then it detects there is an update and everything works fine.

We want to use the silent option so if they configure to only check every couple of days or configure it to automatically download and install, it will be respected. If we call it with /checknow, it immediately checks.

Our updater.ini looks like below when it is installed. Please NOTE, I removed sensitive information in the values but each value is correct and verified by running with /checknow argument.

[General]
AppDir=<I REMOVED THIS VALUE BUT IT WAS VALID PATH TO OUR EXECUTABLE>
ID={C691629B-EDDD-4B0B-A11C-A8B47559B3A0}
ApplicationName=<REMOVED because Sensitive INFO>
CompanyName=MapShots
ApplicationVersion=18.181.418.0
DefaultCommandLine=/checknow
CheckFrequency=1
DownloadsFolder=<REMOVED because Sensitive INFO>
Flags=PerMachine|ShowConfigOptionsButton|InstallSummaryAlways
URL=<REMOVED because Sensitive INFO>

Questions
  1. How do I get /silent working properly and actually finding the update and displaying the dialog to install?
  2. What is the best way to test /silent and reset the check frequency next check date so I can test over an over? I am currently removing the registry setting I mentioned earlier.
ldvbarrett

Re: silent Option on Updater Not Working

This issue was due to a bug in Advanced Installer. I downloaded and updated the latest AI (14.8) and the /silent option is now working properly.
Daniel

Re: silent Option on Updater Not Working

Hello and welcome to our forums,

Thank you for your follow up on this. I'm glad you solved this.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”