Eric_Test

OutOfMemory exception

Hi,

I'm trialing AI 14.8 for my employer and found that I can't "Add Project Output" under "Files and Folders". Seems to get an OutOfMemory exception.

Code: Select all

Application: devenv.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.OutOfMemoryException
   at System.Windows.DependencyObject.InsertEntry(System.Windows.EffectiveValueEntry, UInt32)
   at System.Windows.DependencyObject.SetEffectiveValue(System.Windows.EntryIndex, System.Windows.DependencyProperty, System.Windows.PropertyMetadata, System.Windows.EffectiveValueEntry, System.Windows.EffectiveValueEntry)
   at System.Windows.DependencyObject.UpdateEffectiveValue(System.Windows.EntryIndex, System.Windows.DependencyProperty, System.Windows.PropertyMetadata, System.Windows.EffectiveValueEntry, System.Windows.EffectiveValueEntry ByRef, Boolean, Boolean, System.Windows.OperationType)
   at System.Windows.DependencyObject.SetValueCommon(System.Windows.DependencyProperty, System.Object, System.Windows.PropertyMetadata, Boolean, Boolean, System.Windows.OperationType, Boolean)
   at System.Windows.DependencyObject.SetValueInternal(System.Windows.DependencyProperty, System.Object)
   at System.Windows.Media.Visual.TransformToDescendant(System.Windows.Media.Visual)
   at System.Windows.Media.Visual.PointFromScreen(System.Windows.Point)
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.PlatformUI.Shell.Controls.CustomChromeWindow.WmNcHitTest(IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.PlatformUI.Shell.Controls.CustomChromeWindow.HwndSourceHook(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.PlatformUI.MainWindow.HwndSourceHook(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.PublicHooksFilterMessage(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
   at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
   at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(System.Object)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherPriority, System.TimeSpan, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
   at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)
   at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.CallWindowProc(IntPtr, IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.DefWndProc(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)
   at VSWindowTitleChanger.VSMainWindow.WndProc(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.DebuggableCallback(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)
Other system info:
- Visual Studio 2015
- Windows 10 x64
- 16 GB RAM, i7 2.9GHz CPU
- Our VS solution is rather large (with at least 50 projects, mostly C#/.NET)

I tried to workaround this by using Advanced Installer directly and choosing the "Visual Studio Application" under the Installer Project category, but that too seemed to get an OutOfMemory exception when I tried to load the main solution file.

Is there anyway to get this to work?

Also, I'd like to confirm what is the lowest version that can to achieve these requirements (e.g. will Professional have all the features):
- integrate with the company's build system - Microsoft's Visual Studio Team Services (VSTS) agent?
- support signing?
- background silent updates (i.e. download updates to the application in background and then when the user restarts the application, they will be automatically starting the new upgraded version)?

Thanks,
E.
Dan

Re: OutOfMemory exception

Hi Eric and welcome to Advanced Installer forums,

Can you please tell us if the behavior persists when creating a simple solution? Does the behavior occurs when the VS Solution has a lot of projects, as in your case has around 50 projects.

If you are able to replicate the behaviour in a sample VS Solution, please send us the VS Solution so we can further test and investigate this issue on our end. Just make sure the sample VS Solution is bildable and send it to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate it.

Also, I've forwarded your scenario to our QA team to further test and investigate.

Best regards,
Dan
Dan Ghiorghita - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
Eric_Test

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the welcome and the fast response.

Tested with a simple solution (only one .Net console app project) and this seems to work ok. Was able to build a test .MSI installer in this simple case.

I will need some time to build a sample solution that will be able to replicate the behavior, but will hope to get back to you soon.

Thanks,
E.
Daniel

Hello Eric,

Just get back to us anytime you have a sample which we can use.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”