karlf

Updates don't work in localized language installer

I am creating an installer that will get updates. This installer has 4 builds: DEV, TEST, STAGE, PROD. In order to maintain 1 single installer that can point to 4 different URLs (DEV url, TEST url, etc..) for updates. This is done by making a property called "UpdatesURL" and for each build, I define a different URL for the updates to point to. This worked fine until I introduced localization.

When I run my installer in English, the updates work correctly. When I run the installer in Chinese, it is able to see that updates are available when checking before install, but in my updater.ini file in app directory (after install), the URL line reads:

"URL=Property.UpdatesURL"

Which is the name of the Localization ID in the Project Strings tab under Translations. When I try to check for updates, I then get an error about a malformed URL. Is there a way that I can disable translation for this particular property? Or can I somehow just have it translate to the same value being used in English for the Chinese version of the build? I tried putting in [UpdatesURL] hoping that it would substitute in the value, but instead it added in "Property.UpdatesURL", how can I get to the resolved value for the current build?

I have also tried clicking on the field and disabling translation for the property. It leads to the same url line as above.

The reason that I am translating properties is because in a custom action I display some text in a message box. This is defined as a property so that we can display the message in the correct translated language

Thanks for the help
Daniel

Re: Updates don't work in localized language installer

Hello,

To avoid this error I advise you to localize and configure your URL property to use the same build value for all languages of your projects. Here are the steps you can use:
1. go to "Translations" page -> "Project Strings" tab
2. from the bottom right section of the view click on the [Select] button and select the "Properties" segment option
3. in the "Project Strings" section set the same URL build value to your URL build for all languages
4. you should perform the previous step for all builds of your project (you can select them in turn from the "translations" tab of the top toolbar)

The above settings should be configured for all of your setup project versions.

Let me know if this helped, otherwise please send us the AIPs (project files) of your old and new setup version and of your updates configuration project to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate their settings.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”