sacjai

We need to install windows services into the custom user profile account folder

Hi,

I need to install windows services using advanced installer with the following steps:
1) first create custom user, under which windows service will run
2) all windows service related exe and files should be moved under custom user profile folder.
3) windows service should point to custom user profile folder during service installation.

Please suggest the right way to achieve it. I tried InstallService, MsiConfigureServices and startservices but not able to point service exe location to custom user profile location. we are passing custom username as property. I also tried to create folder under targetcomputer but it is giving an error that it could not access network location. Please suggest right way to achieve it.
Dan

Re: We need to install windows services into the custom user profile account folder

Hello and welcome to Advanced Installer forums,

To install a service for a custom user you can follow the steps from the How to install a service for a custom user article.

Should there be any difficulty you encounter implementing something, please do not hesitate to contact me and
I will gladly assist.

Best regards,
Dan
Dan Ghiorghita - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
sacjai

Re: We need to install windows services into the custom user profile account folder

Thanks Dan for your reply.

as per shared link, we can install service for custom user but I am able to host windows service under custom user. my main problem is that how to give service exe path. I am using custom action to move required exe under custom user folder but I am not able to configure windows service, service file path under Service properties.
Daniel

Hello,

To achieve this you can create a property-based folder whose path will be set at install time to a user profile folder. And add the services files in this folder in "Files and Folders" page. Have a look on our "Installing in the user profile folder" article exposing a quick example.

Then you should create the service definition in our "Services" page by pointing to the service file from the above property-based folder.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”