kkkwj

Syntax for call function from installed DLL

I want to run a C# method (UpgradeDatabase) after installation to merge databases, copy files, and so on. The method lives inside of mycore.dll, which is an installed file. I used the predefined action "Call function from standard DLL" option in the Add Custom Action dialog. The path value = "[#mycore.dll]", which resolves to the correct installed pathname when the installer runs.

But the error message says "Function 'UpgradeDatabase' cannot be found in '<Program files x86/company/product/mycore.dll.'

Using Calling Convention = Standard Calling Convention, I have tried using Classname.UpgradeDatabase and UpgradeDatabase, but both give the same error. I have read all the help documentation (not helpful at all because no syntax discussions or relevant screenshots are shown), searched more than a dozen forum pages with various search strings (not helpful), and looked through all 80 of the videos (not helpful either).

What am I doing wrong? Can you point me to some documentation or working example? Thank you.
kkkwj

Re: Syntax for call function from installed DLL

This link viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9443&p=26417&hilit= ... dll#p26417 says that only UNMANAGED DLLs can be used by the "Call function from standard DLL." But the link is from many years ago.

Is that still true? Can I use the custom action to call a C# DLL that is part of my installation?
Daniel

Re: Syntax for call function from installed DLL

Hello,

I am afraid this is because our "Call function from standard DLL" action type is compatible only with native (unmanaged code) DLLs. To use your .Net DLL as a custom action I recommend you to rewrite it as a DTF C# custom action using the Wix Toolset.

Just follow the steps of our "How to create fully fledged C# custom actions" tutorial and let us know how this works.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”