randomguy

install .url shortcut in public users desktop with icon

Just started my first ever project with Advanced Installer. I want to build an .msi that installs a .url shortcut to the C:\users\public\desktop folder with a specified icon.

I started the project, went to Files and Folders, and imported my .url shortcut to the Target Computer > Desktop folder. When I installed it on my system, the shortcut worked and had the appropriate icon.

When I deployed it to my test lab, the .url installed with the default .url file association icon.

When I looked at the Internet Shortcut Properties dialog, the Icon preview pane has a yellow triangle in it. If I hover my mouse over it, it says "Unable to load icon from path". If I click on the Icon preview I have no icons shown.

I do have a .ico available that I can import into my project but I'm not sure where I should put it. I can't find anything in the help menu to import just straight .ico's.

What is the best way to make sure this .url file is deployed with the correct .ico?
Daniel

Re: install .url shortcut in public users desktop with icon

Hello and welcome to our forums,

To achieve what you need you may try to add the shortcut icon explicitly into your installer project. Just go to "Files and Folders" page and double click on your shortcut. Then use the [...] browse button of the "Icon" field to select your icon.

Hope this helped.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”