sderrico

ClickOnce replacement

Hello,

I am one of the multiple developers stroke by the Smartscreen bug related to Microsoft Windows Update 1803:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Fo ... pdate-1803

My goal is to replace ClickOnce with Advanced Installer and mimic the same workflow:
1. The user run the application
2. The application check if there is any update on the company website
3. There is an update
4. The application update (the user do not have any choice)
5. The application start

I read the document and what I understand is:
1. The user run updater.exe
2. Undater.exe check if there is any update (Question1: if there is no updates, how the updater run application.exe?)
3. Undater.exe detect a new update
4. Updater.exe update application.exe without giving the user any choice
5. Updater.exe start application.exe (Question2: how do we tell updater.exe to start application.exe?)

Question3: To get it right for the user experience, do we need to rename updater.exe to application.exe with our icon and it is application.exe(originally updater.exe) shortcut that will be in the start menu and on the desktop?

Thank you!
Last edited by sderrico on Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eusebiu

Re: ClickOnce replacement

Hi Sebastien and welcome to Advanced Installer forums.

Thank you for your interest in Advanced Installer.

I apologize for the delayed reply.
2. Undater.exe check if there is any update (Question1: if there is no updates, how the updater run application.exe?)
To achieve this, you can integrate the updater with your application as detailed in the "How to integrate the Updater in a game application" article.

In case the no updates are found, the updater will launch the application specified in the shortcut's command line.
5. Updater.exe start application.exe (Question2: how do we tell updater.exe to start application.exe?)
For this, you need to use the "Auto Close Application" support specified in the above article.
Question3: To get it right for the user experience, do we need to rename updater.exe to application.exe with our icon and it is application.exe(originally updater.exe) shortcut that will be in the start menu and on the desktop?
Yes, it is recommended to set the name and the icon of the Updater shortcut to the ones specific to your application.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”