Roman

Setup runs after windows reboot

Version 14.9, Enterprise license.
I created an installer with the ability to run or install the application.
1. If "run" option is selected, it copies files to a temporary folder and launches the application.
2. If "install" option is selected, it runs the feature-based prerequisite in silent mode.

As soon as the installer tries to call the feature-based prerequisite, it creates registry entry in HKCU\Software\[Publisher] AiTemp\[Product_Code], which starts the installer every time the Windows is booted, but i didnt ask for that.
Is it the same problem like here viewtopic.php?t=20469 ?
Catalin

Re: Setup runs after windows reboot

Hello Roman,

Your problem may be caused by the fact that you have the "Reboot system after installing this prerequisite" option from "Prerequisites Properties Tab" enabled. In order to be able to continue with the installation after the reboot, Advanced Installer creates a Scheduled Task or a Registry Entry under the "Run" registry key, which will run the setup after the system reboot.
The behavior of your setup could be caused by the fact that the installation package fails to delete the earlier created Schedule Task or Registry Entry after the installation.

Also, similar issue is debated on our "Resume dialog appears after machine restart" thread.

Can you replicate this behavior on multiple clean machines ? For testing purposes we always recommend to be used virtual machines with clean states so that when something goes wrong you can easily revert to a clean state of the virtual machine. If so, in order to investigate this behavior, can you send us a copy of your AIP project to support at advancedinstaller dot com , or any test case / pattern we can use to replicate this issue on a test environment.

As a workaround for this, you can manually check if there is any Scheduled Task or Registry Entry left behind after the installation and then remove them.

If you have any further questions or doubts, don't hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
Roman

I even cant enable "Reboot system after installing this prerequisite" option from "Prerequisites Properties Tab"

I noticed that if i run the installer as administrator, the registry entry does not even appear. But it is important for me that the installer does not require administrator rights at startup. For understanding installer logic check viewtopic.php?f=5&t=35291&p=98866
Daniel

Hello,

Can you please send us the .AIP (setup project) file by email to support at advancedinstaller dot com alongside a step by step test case we can follow so we can further test and investigate this?

Also, please let us know if you could consistently replicate the behavior on multiple machines.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”