GeorgeNJ

Will not run after install.

Sometime after the April Windows 10 update we started getting reports from users that our program does not run when installation has finished. It has run fine after after installation for years, built with AIP.

I've tested here on a fresh install of Windows 10, (virtual machine), and the program AIP is asked to run after install indeed does not run.

The same installer as above, when executed on a "mature" Windows 10, (also virtual machine), runs our program as expected after installation.

In addition, after several dozen times (seriously who counts these things?) running the installer over a 3 day period it ran the expected program. Go figure.

Is this a known problem? Some sort problem in my AIP configuration?
Catalin

Re: Will not run after install.

Hello,

Just to make sure I fully understand your problem: Do you mean that your setup does not run the application after it is installed ? Or do you mean that your setup does not run properly ?

Can you please send us the .aip (project file) by e-mail at support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate its settings? If you cannot share with us your project file, then you can try to isolate the behavior in a buildable sample (.aip + its referenced files) which we can build and test on our side.

Also, can you give me more information about the OS Build Number of your Windows 10 machine. In order to do this, open a run window ( windows + R ), type "winver" and press "Ok".

Regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
GeorgeNJ

The setup runs and installs correctly. It will not run the app I designate (in Dialogs/ExitDialog/Finshing Actions) after installation.

This is Windows 10.0 build 10240, freshly installed.

I'll send the email shortly.

Thank you Catalin.
Catalin

Hello George,

I have tested your scenario and I reproduced the behavior. Having a deeper look into the log, it seems like the application is launched after the installation is over, but the process is ending immediately (I have tested this using Windows Task Manager, where I could see the application being launched).

However, I have also tried to manually launch the application after installation using the same command line parameter you have set in the setup project and the same behavior was encountered. The application started and the process ended immediately. I would suggest you to try debug / troubleshoot your application code and try to find out what's the root cause of this behavior.

Regards,
Catalin
GeorgeNJ

Oops, I' embarrassed! And I still have a mystery to solve. :?

Thank you for your time, Catalin!
Catalin

You're always welcome, George!

Just let us know anytime you need help and we will gladly assist.

Regards,
Catalin

Return to “Common Problems”