terry151151

Files missing after upgrade

I have a .net program that is installed with Advanced Installer on a per user basis. I can install the program the first time OK. I then change the version number and generate a new product/upgrade code, and then rebuild the installer. When I the run the newly generated installer I only get the .exe and .confg files installed, all the supporting .dll's are missing. If I then run the installer again as a repair install I then get all the supporting .dll's installed.
Catalin

Re: Files missing after upgrade

Hello,

This may be caused by the fact that a file in your package ( in this case, a DLL ) has a lower version than the file already present on the machine. A major upgrade is a two-steps process:
1) the old version is uninstalled
2) the new version is installed
For deciding if a file is installed or not, Windows Installer uses the "file versioning rules". If a file has a lower version than a file which is already present on the machine, then it will not be installed. However, when the old version is uninstalled, the file on the machine is removed, that resulting in files missing after upgrade. For more information about this, you can check the following link:

"Why some files are missing from the installation folder when performing an upgrade?"

To fix this, you can try to increase the value of the version of your files, so it will be higher than the value of your already existing files.

As a workaround, you can try to enable the "Always overwrite existing file" option on your DLL file. To do this, you can go to "Files and folders" page from the "Resources" group, right click on your .DLL file --> "Properties" --> "Operations" --> tick "Always overwrite existing file".

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”