thiagorizzo

Automatic upgrade old version not working

Hi,

I have two projects of two versions of my software with different specified versions:

Different Product Code as well:

And both with "Automatically upgrade older product versions":

But when I try to install a new version It doesnt uninstall the old one, It just keeps both on remove/modify programs panel, and the old version is overwritten since Im using the same path to install the new one. I wondering if Im missing something.

Thanks, Thiago Rizzo.
Catalin

Re: Automatic upgrade old version not working

Hello Thiago,

I have reproduced your scenario and indeed, I have encountered the same behavior.

First of all, please keep in mind that Windows Installer ignores the fourth field of the Product Version by default. In your case, version 18.6.0.2 is the same as the version 18.6.0.3.

Even if the fourth field is ignored, you can still force the uninstall of the previous version by following these steps :
1) Go to "Upgrades" page from the "Product Information" group
2) Check "Customize Advanced Installer upgrade rules" option from "Application Versions" tab
3) In the "Upgrades" listbox, double click on the upgrade code which has the property set to "OLDPRODUCTS"
4) After the "Edit Upgrade" window is prompted, in the "Versions To Upgrade" tab, check the "Include maximum version in range" and then press "Ok"

Also, please keep in mind that you have to generate new "Product Code" for the newer version. In order to do this, you can go to "Product Details" page from the "Product Information" group, click on the "Product IDs" tab and click on "Generate All" button.

If you have any further questions or doubts, don't hesitate to contact me and I'll gladly assist.

Regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
thiagorizzo

Catalin, It worked! :D Thanks
Catalin

You're always welcome, Thiago! I am glad I could help!
rachel.larralde

I'm having this same problem - tried the steps on this post but no luck. I'm using AI 13.4 - could this be the issue?
Catalin

Hello Rachel and welcome to Advanced Installer forums,

The solution I have provided should be working fine on Advanced Installer 13.4. In fact, I have tested this just now and everything worked.

Could you please give me some more details about what do you mean when you say it's not working? Do you get any error messages? Does the newer version not uninstall the older version?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,
Catalin
rachel.larralde

Thank you for your response.

Seems like the old version isn't being deleted at all. The only way to reflect the new update is by using the "repair" option in the installer.

- I have made sure that the version number is higher
- I've followed your steps to try and force the uninstall of the previous version
- I've generated new product codes (via "Generate all")

Tried to do this multiple times and I still get the same result for some reason. maybe I'm still missing something? Your help is greatly appreciated!
Catalin

Hello Rachel,

Unfortunately, I can not say for sure why this happens.

In order for me to further investigate this, could you please forward me a copy of your .AIP file by e-mail at support at advancedinstaller dot com so I can do a double check?

Also, if possible, could you please send me a download link for both versions of your product so I can test this on our end (e.g. version 1.0.0 and 1.0.1)?

Best regards,
Catalin
sarshalom

Catalin wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:30 am Hello Thiago,

I have reproduced your scenario and indeed, I have encountered the same behavior.

First of all, please keep in mind that Windows Installer ignores the fourth field of the Product Version by default. In your case, version 18.6.0.2 is the same as the version 18.6.0.3.

Even if the fourth field is ignored, you can still force the uninstall of the previous version by following these steps :
1) Go to "Upgrades" page from the "Product Information" group
2) Check "Customize Advanced Installer upgrade rules" option from "Application Versions" tab
3) In the "Upgrades" listbox, double click on the upgrade code which has the property set to "OLDPRODUCTS"
4) After the "Edit Upgrade" window is prompted, in the "Versions To Upgrade" tab, check the "Include maximum version in range" and then press "Ok"

Also, please keep in mind that you have to generate new "Product Code" for the newer version. In order to do this, you can go to "Product Details" page from the "Product Information" group, click on the "Product IDs" tab and click on "Generate All" button.

If you have any further questions or doubts, don't hesitate to contact me and I'll gladly assist.

Regards,
Catalin
Hi Catalin,

We use the fourth number as the version build number, so I have the same problem and your solution works great.
The installer still prevents a downgrade to an earlier version, but does downgrade to a smaller build number of the same version.
Is there a way to prevent this?

Thanks,
Sar Shalom
Catalin

Hello Sar and welcome to Advanced Installer forums,
We use the fourth number as the version build number, so I have the same problem and your solution works great.
I am glad the solution works for you!
The installer still prevents a downgrade to an earlier version, but does downgrade to a smaller build number of the same version.
I am not quite sure I understand the scenario here.

Could you please give me some more details (maybe exemplify) about what you want to achieve?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,
Catalin

Return to “Common Problems”