timmangan

License kill in InitTrial/InitTrialReturn (Solved)

I had a nasty issue after rebuilding a .Net app using the licensing, which was previously working. The changes were to edit a custom action on the installer. The AI was version 14.9.

The symptoms were that the call to either InitTrial or InitTrialReturn would kill the process. This kill (probably not an uncontrolled crash as Windows Error Reporting was not involved) would happen on all systems, including new VMs, ones that had the older version of the app installed but not registered, and ones that had the older version of the app registered.

Eventually, I noticed that in the AIProject project file, the license key stored in the project file had been trashed somehow (it looked like Chinese characters). Because this key is hidden at the bottom of the Licensing-->Trial-->Registration tab, which I have not gone to since originally setting it up, it was very hard to detect this issue with no warning. Before killing off the executable it would have been nice to emit some sort of information (maybe in the event log).

Generating a new key, and updating the code source to use that key resolved the issue. As this app had not yet been released, this was acceptable, but I'm not sure that would have been the case if it had already been released. It would have been better to allow me to copy the old key from the source file into the AIProject field of the Registration tab rather than generate a new one.
Eusebiu

Re: License kill in InitTrial/InitTrialReturn (Solved)

Hi,

Sorry for the delayed reply.

I'm not sure why this problem appeared, but I'm glad that you managed to solve it before releasing your product. Do you happen to know of any pattern that would reproduce the problem?

Regarding the possibility to copy the old key into the project file, I will forward your suggestion to the developer that implemented this feature when he will return from vacation.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”