Dima

Language dependent and independent properties

Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:42 am

Hello,

I've defined different "Properties" in the "Install Parameter" section. Some of them are depending on the install language and need different values for each language. And some of them are independent of the install language. Unfortunately it seems to be if I want only one property with different values for different languages, I have to translate all properties to all languages. Additionaly if I change one of the language independent properties for a new installation build, I have to change all its language values to the same new value, too. Thats really annoying and error prone.

It's there a easy way to edit language independent properties without to must edit all its language values? For instance can I reference all languages to the same value or can I use a similiar mechanism to the localized UI strings, where I can define which string should be localized and which one not.

Kind regards,
Dima

Catalin

Re: Language dependent and independent properties

Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:55 pm

Hello Dima,
It's there a easy way to edit language independent properties without to must edit all its language values? For instance can I reference all languages to the same value or can I use a similiar mechanism to the localized UI strings, where I can define which string should be localized and which one not.
Yes, there is an easy way to achieve that. This can be done by going in "Install Parameters" page from the "Package Definition" group, double click on the property you want to disable "Localization" for (language independent properties) --> right click on the "Value" field --> "Localization..." --> choose "Never translate this string" option. This way, your property will have the same value, no matter what language is chosen.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Dima

Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:23 pm

Thanks for your reply!

Unfortunately I didn't get the context menu with "Localization..." you describe.
ContextMenu.png
ContextMenu.png (17.72KiB)Viewed 7694 times
Have you an idea what I can do to get the expected context menu?

Catalin

Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:47 am

Hello Dima,

Indeed, in some versions of Advanced Installer, the "Localization" option is missing when you right click on the "Value" field.

As a workaround, you can check the "Localization of properties" thread.

This issue was fixed in Advanced Installer 14.9.

Regards,
Catalin

Dima

Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:29 am

Thank you very much for your answer.

I updated to the new version 15.1 and the problem was solved.

Best regards, Dima

Catalin

Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:09 pm

You are always welcome, Dima!

I am glad you got this working!

Regards,
Catalin

Return to “Common Problems”