McKool

MSI-Log creation path is different in new version of AI

Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:23 am

Dear support,

I used to create log files for my setups calling the following command:

Code: Select all

MySetup.exe /L*V "MySetup.log"
With the command above, the log file was placed near the setup file. Now, having my project compiled with AI v15.0.1 and using the same command, the log file is placed in the setup's extraction folder (usually [AppDataFolder][|Manufacturer]\[|ProductName] [|ProductVersion]\install).

Is this a bug? If not, could you please explain why this behavior was changed?

Thanks in advance,

Regards,
Keneth

Catalin

Re: MSI-Log creation path is different in new version of AI

Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:56 pm

Hello Keneth,

I have tried to reproduce this, but the log file was created only near the setup file.

Can you please send us a sample project which reproduce this behavior by e-mail at support at advancedinstaller dot com ?

Regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

McKool

Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:33 am

Hello Catalin,

the e-mail is on the way. By the way, we've managed to isolate the problem. It occurs when you use the bootstrapper together with translations, using as option “Create only a multilingual package”.

Thanks for your help,

Regards,
Keneth

Catalin

Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:24 am

Hello Keneth,

I have tested the scenario with your sent sample, but the behavior still did not reproduce. The log file is always placed near the setup file.

I have tested this on several machines with clean states such as: Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 7 SP1 with the specified version of Advanced Installer, but it did not reproduce on any of them. It is possible that the problem here comes from the environment where the setup is deployed.

In this case, I would suggest you specify the full path where you want your log file to be saved. The path could look similar to this:

MySetup.exe /L*V "C:\..\..\mylog.txt"
Regards,
Catalin

McKool

Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:51 am

Hello Catalin,

not sure why you don't see this. Maybe my description was not clear enough. I have tested in 4 different computers, all of them WIndows 10 64-Bit. One of them is a fresh installed Windows 10 64-Bit (nothing installed on it), and i can see the issue too. I'm sure that if I use other computers I will keep seeing the issue.

I have attached the test file here, so maybe other people can check this too. The state of it is to reproduce the problem, so:
  1. Compile the project file "LogTest.aip" with AI v15.0.1. An exe called "LogTest.exe" is generated
  2. Open a command prompt and navigate to the folder where the exe created above is located
  3. Call the exe by using the following command: LogTest.exe /l*v "logtest.log".
  4. The log file, "TestLog.log", will be located in the following path: "C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Temp\{28245D7D-DD57-412E-B391-DE361E6F3CF3}" (and not near the exe, as with other versions).
Note: If you repeat the process but compiling the project with AI 13.1, for instance, then the log file is created near to the LogTest.exe.

Just for clarification: My problem is not just using a full path or not, I now that it works in that way. My problem is that the behavior has silently changed from an AI version to another. We have several installation projects and a lot of things to do, so we don't have time to test all setups each time you bring out a new version of AI (and you do this quite often). I hope you understand my concern.

I can provide you with the compiled binary files if you want. Just let me know.

Thanks again for your help,

Best regards,
Keneth
Attachments
LogTest.aip
Problem file
(18.47KiB)Downloaded 290 times

Catalin

Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:00 pm

Hello Keneth,

Can you please send us the bootstrapper's log and a download link for the .EXE installer you have built using Advanced Installer by e-mail at support at advancedinstaller dot com ?

You can generate the bootstrapper's log by using a command line similar to the following one:

Setup.exe /exelog <path_to_log>
If you do not specify the name and the path of the log, it will be created near the .EXE setup file and with the same name.

Regards.
Catalin

McKool

Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:14 pm

Hello Catalin,

yes, but before I do that ... I think I know how to reproduce the issue on your side now. The language of our systems is german, that is why we always see the issue and you don't. You need to use a language different than English for the installation. Try this:

LogTest.exe /excelang 1031 /l*v "example.log"
You should see the error now. If no, then I will send you the requested files.

Regards,
Keneth

Catalin

Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:18 pm

Hello Keneth,

Indeed, I was able to reproduce the behavior following your scenario.

We have added this improvement on our TODO list.

Until then, I'm afrad that the only workaround is to specify the full path for your log file.

Regards,
Catalin

Daniel

Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:10 pm

Hello,

This was fixed in version 15.3 of Advanced Installer released on September 12th, 2018.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team

Return to “Common Problems”