dave9382

possible to pass and parse custom command line switches to installer exe

We have built a MySetup.exe with advanced installer...

Is there a way to parse a custom command line parameter (not in the MSI format) and turn those into proper MSI properties (like using the Set Property action).

Here is the scenario... We are replacing an old installshield installer we wrote that we would launch automated server installs with the following command similar to this MySetup.exe /z"ConnectionInfo=MYSQLSERVER|MYDATABASE|NOBACKUP"

I am trying to find a way where if I execute the same command with an advanced installer setup executable I can parse what is in /z
using a custom action and put it in proper installer properties like [SERVER_PROP] and [DATABASE_PROP] .

The reason for this is we already have custom launchers we wrote in the field on thousands of computers that attempt to launch upgrades automatically using this old syntax.
Dan

Re: possible to pass and parse custom command line switches to installer exe

Hello,

We'll consider your suggestion for adding this feature, but since yours is the only request, implementing it has very low priority. Perhaps in the future we will increase its priority, but for the moment there are not immediate plans.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

Best regards,
Dan
Dan Ghiorghita - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”