Collins

Visual Studio 2017 Build Issue "The RPC server is unavailable"

I received an error in VS when trying to build the projects in the solution after upgrading from 15.01 to 15.1:
"Unhandled Exception:The RPC server is unavailable. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706BA)"

In the CCNET & TeamCity build log it shows:
"Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {F6D69C22-C70F-416D-80E6-DBA6A90B56C7} failed due to the following error: 80040154 Class not registered (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040154 (REGDB_E_CLASSNOTREG))." dir="C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Caphyon\Advanced Installer" name="AdvInstExtTasks.Targets" pos="(189, 5)"

My workaround was to individually open each aip in the solution so the message "Project converted from a previous version (xx.xx.x)" would display, save the project file and then reload the solution in VS and build again.

Here is the project file:

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Project DefaultTargets="Build" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/developer/msbuild/2003">
  <PropertyGroup>
    <Configuration Condition=" '$(Configuration)' == '' ">All</Configuration>
    <SchemaVersion>2.0</SchemaVersion>
    <ProjectGuid>5898dc56-9c80-42e7-a96f-6ed9df7b73fb</ProjectGuid>
    <OutputType>msi</OutputType>
    <ProjectHome>.</ProjectHome>
    <StartupFile>Install1.aip</StartupFile>
    <SearchPath>
    </SearchPath>
    <WorkingDirectory>.</WorkingDirectory>
    <IsWindowsApplication>True</IsWindowsApplication>
    <AssemblyName>Installs</AssemblyName>
    <Name>Installs</Name>
    <RootNamespace>Installs</RootNamespace>
	<LoadFromTemplate>
    </LoadFromTemplate>
  </PropertyGroup>
  <PropertyGroup Condition=" '$(Configuration)' == 'DefaultBuild' ">
    <OutputPath>$(SolutionDir)..\CleanBuild\installs\</OutputPath>
  </PropertyGroup>
  <ItemGroup>
    <Compile Include="Install1.aip">
      <SubType>Code</SubType>
    </Compile>
  </ItemGroup>
  <ItemGroup>
    <Compile Include="Install2.aip">
      <SubType>Code</SubType>
    </Compile>
  </ItemGroup>
  <ItemGroup>
    <Compile Include="Install3.aip">
      <SubType>Code</SubType>
    </Compile>
  </ItemGroup>
  <ItemGroup>
    <Compile Include="Install4.aip">
      <SubType>Code</SubType>
    </Compile>
  </ItemGroup>
  <ItemGroup>
    <Compile Include="Install5.aip">
      <SubType>Code</SubType>
    </Compile>
  </ItemGroup>
  <ItemGroup>
    <Compile Include="Install6.aip">
      <SubType>Code</SubType>
    </Compile>
  </ItemGroup>
  <ItemGroup>
    <Compile Include="Install7.aip">
      <SubType>Code</SubType>
    </Compile>
  </ItemGroup>
  <Import Condition="'$(AdvancedInstallerMSBuildTargets)' != ''" Project="$(AdvancedInstallerMSBuildTargets)\AdvInstExtTasks.Targets" />
  <Import Condition="'$(AdvancedInstallerMSBuildTargets)' == ''" Project="$(MSBuildExtensionsPath32)\Caphyon\Advanced Installer\AdvInstExtTasks.Targets" />
</Project>
Daniel

Re: Visual Studio 2017 Build Issue "The RPC server is unavailable"

Hello,

We apologize for the delayed reply. We have tested the scenario but we were not able to replicate the issue. Could you please send us to support at advancedinstaller dot com your solution ( SLN file + all its referenced setup projects (.AIPROJ and .AIP files) + all the application projects without their source code) so we can further investigate this?

Also, if you could replicate the behavior in a small sample this will be very useful for us.

As a side note, please be aware that our VS Extension does not support multiple AIPs (project files) being added under the same Advanced Installer setup project for VS (.AIPROJ file). This configuration could be indeed error prone. However, if you could share with us your SLN files we will like to further investigate your build scenario.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
Collins

Hi Daniel,

The error "Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {F6D69C22-C70F-416D-80E6-DBA6A90B56C7} failed due to the following error: 80040154 Class not registered (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040154 (REGDB_E_CLASSNOTREG))." dir="C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Caphyon\Advanced Installer" name="AdvInstExtTasks.Targets" pos="(189, 5)"

came back yesterday. The only change that I saw was that the "Advanced Installer for Visual Studio 2017" was automatically updated to 15.2 from 15.1. After restarting the build server, the error went away. I will send you all the files you requested.
Daniel

Hello,

Thank you for your sent files. Please give us some time to test and investigate them and we will get back to you as soon as we have an update.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel

Hello,

We have further investigated this and it seems this was indeed caused by an issue in our Visual Studio extension. We have already started working on a fix and we will try to include it in the next version of our extension. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

As soon as we have a fix officially available we will update this thread.

Until then, if you need an early fix you can write us by email and we will get back to you with a RC version of Advanced Installer.

All the best,
Daniel
dk.cvo

Hi Guys,

I have same issue, but I dont have this line in my aip files - ""Project converted from a previous version (xx.xx.x)""
Is there anything else I can look into? I have same environment i.e. VS 2017, instead of ccnet I have VSTS.
Daniel

Hello,

This issue is still under investigation. It will be very useful for us if you could isolate the behavior in a small buildable sample (VS solution and all the required files we need to build the SLN on our side) and send it us by email to support at advancedinstaller dot com. So we can fully test and investigate this on our side.

If you could not replicate the error in a small sample, then please send us by email your solution (only the SLN and its included projects - without the source code files) and a small test case you use to replicate the issue.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel

Hello,

This was fixed in version 15.3 of Advanced Installer released on September 12th, 2018.

All the best,
Daniel

Return to “Common Problems”