srrdev

"There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A DLL"

I'm getting the following error when running an install that I've created.

"There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A DLL required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor."

When I run the install, my antivirus program (Avast) displays a window saying that it is scanning the installation exe for viruses. At this point, I get a message box pop up displaying the above error. After the virus scan completes and no viruses are reported… both the window from the antivirus program and the message box with the error go away and the installation completes successfully.

If i disable the antivirus program before running the install, there is no error displayed and the install completes successfully.

If I cancel the initial installation attempt after the virus scan completes and run the install a second time, the antivirus program will not attempt to scan the installation exe and the install will complete successfully with no error being displayed.

I’ve run the install with the /l*v command line parameters and see no obvious errors or warnings in the log file, but I have to admit, I don’t know what I’m supposed to be looking for.

Any ideas on what the issue is or how I can solve this problem? I don’t think telling the customers to disable their antivirus programs will be an acceptable solution.
Catalin

Re: "There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A DLL"

Hello,

First of all, sorry for the delayed reply.

This error usually occurs when a custom action fails during the installation / uninstallation process of your setup.

Can you please send us the verbose log you have created by e-mail at support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can further investigate it?

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
Catalin

Re: "There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A DLL"

Hello Steven,

I have tested this and indeed I was able to reproduce the behavior.

This error is thrown by the Windows Installer service. While scanning, Avast keeps the setup files in use, thus resulting in the error you have encountered. That is why, after the antivirus finish its scanning process, the setup continues normally. It is just the Windows Installer service being unable to access the MSI installation database while the setup file is kept in use by Avast.

I am afraid there is really nothing we can do in our part and the only thing that can be done to avoid this behavior is to submit for whitelisting to Avast your .EXE setup.

Thank you for your understanding.

Kind regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”