Antarctica

Advanced Installer 15.2 regression bug: Custom Action "Hide program window"

Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:01 pm

I am executing two shell program calls, and I am executing them in the background:

This worked with installers built in Advanced Installer 15.1.

However, in Advanced Installer 15.2, they are no longer hidden:

Catalin

Re: Advanced Installer 15.2 regression bug: Custom Action "Hide program window"

Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:48 pm

Hello,

I have tried to reproduce this behavior following the scenario you have given me, but everything worked as expected (the window was hidden).

Does this behavior reproduce on multiple clean machines? If so, can you please send us the .aip (project file) by e-mail at support at advancedinstaller dot com, so we can investigate its settings?

Regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

LrngToFly

Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:23 pm

I am seeing this issue too with 15.2. I just jumped up from 14.8 to 15.2- so not sure exactly which version the behavior changed. Thanks.

LrngToFly

Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:51 pm

I'm also seeing timing issues of my custom actions- ones which rely on the prior ones being finished are now having errors, even though I have "wait for custom action to finish before proceeding" checked.

I'm downgrading to 15.1 based on the original poster's post. I'm out on vacation until Sep 4th and won't know until then if my problems are gone with 15.1.

LrngToFly

Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:31 pm

FYI: My problems did indeed go away after downgrading to 15.1.

Daniel

Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:19 pm

Hello,

I am not so sure why you are facing this behavior. We tested your scenario and everything works fine in our latest (15.2) version of Advanced Installer.

Can you please send us the .AIP (setup project file) to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can further investigate this? Also, can you let us know on which Windows version (and build number) are you replicating this behavior?

If you could isolate the behavior in a small sample and send it us alongside a test case, this will be very useful.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team

Daniel

Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:51 am

Hello,

Thank you for sharing with us your project file. With your help we were able to replicate both issues you have reported:

1. The "Wait for custom action to finish before proceeding" flag no longer works when enabled for a custom action. This is indeed an issue replicating in our last versions of Advanced Installer. We already started working on a fix and hopefully it will be available soon. We will update this thread as soon as the fix is available. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

2. The "Hide program's window" option no longer works for a custom action when the "Run as administrator" option ("Install Parameters" page) is enabled into your setup project. This is another issue which replicates starting with our recent versions of Advanced Installer, thank you for bringing this to our attention too. We will add a fix for this issue in the future and when ready we will update this forum thread.

All the best,
Daniel

Dan

Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:46 pm

Hello,

This was fixed in version 15.5 of Advanced Installer released on November 21st, 2018.

Best regards,
Dan
Dan Ghiorghita - Advanced Installer Team

sjeslis

Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:06 pm

Both problems, i.e. #1 and #2 were fixed in 15.5?
Scott Jeslis
Senior Software Engineer
Cicero, Inc.

Daniel

Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:59 am

Yes, both should have been fixed. Just let us know if you still get any inconsistency.

All the best,
Daniel

digocesar

Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:07 pm

I'm testing this fix with Advanced Installer 15.5.1 and my installation is waiting indefinitely when starts a Launch File action.
I had unchecked the "Hide program's windows" and could see that the prompt executions was finished but the install process do not continue with the installation.

Daniel

Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:20 pm

Hello,

This is strange. I have tested this again but I cannot replicate the issue. Can you please send us the .aip (project file) to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate its settings?

Also if you could isolate the behavior in a buildable sample (.aip + its referenced files) which we can build and test on our side this will be great.

All the best,
Daniel

LrngToFly

Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:25 pm

Hello-

I've been busy with a couple of upcoming releases and have not had a chance to test recent Advanced Installer builds until now. I'm still finding the "bad" behavior with 15.6 where it seems that custom actions begin before the prior ones (marked "Wait for custom action to finish before proceeding") actually complete.

I am no longer seeing command prompt windows for custom action marked "Hide program's window"

I have rolled back to 15.1 for now.

Thanks again for your help.

Daniel

Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:05 pm

Hello,

I have tested this again using our latest version (AI 15.6) but I still cannot replicate the issue. Can you please send us the .aip (project file) to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate its settings?

Also if you could isolate the behavior in a buildable sample (.aip + its referenced files) which we can build and test on our side this will be great.

All the best,
Daniel

vcorazza

Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:18 pm

digocesar wrote:I'm testing this fix with Advanced Installer 15.5.1 and my installation is waiting indefinitely when starts a Launch File action.
I had unchecked the "Hide program's windows" and could see that the prompt executions was finished but the install process do not continue with the installation.
Hi, we are experiencing the same issue with both versions 15.5.1 and 15.6. The custom action is configured as in picture
AdvancedInstallerCopy.png
AdvancedInstallerCopy.png (34.43KiB)Viewed 13919 times

Return to “Common Problems”