jbaynton

TeamCity plugin "hangs" and doesn't return

Hi all,

I've recently setup the Advanced Installer plugin for TeamCity and have run into an issue (that may be related to the reason we tried the plugin).

History: Previously I'd been launching AdvancedInstaller.com from a PowerShell script, passing in the .aip. It worked for a while, but over the last year or so, it's begun "failing" close to 50% of the time. It doesn't error out though, it just never seems to return to TeamCity, effectively hanging. No details.

I thought that maybe pulling the logic out of the powershell script into the plugin might solve it. It seems to have for a couple build configurations, but 1 configuration seems to be exhibiting the same behaviour (see attachment). It says "Build finished successfully" but never moves to the next build step.

If it matters, we can be running up to 3 build configurations on that server at any given time. I've tried running builds with Advanced Installer open on the server in hopes that it was a concurrency issue, but alas, it runs fine (i.e. succeeds at the normal rate)

I'm at a loss. This results in quite a lot of wasted time when a build fails and has to be re-run.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Jeff
Attachments
AdvancedInstallerHang.PNG
AdvancedInstallerHang.PNG (15.06 KiB) Viewed 4248 times
Daniel

Re: TeamCity plugin "hangs" and doesn't return

Hello Jeff,

We apologize for the delayed reply.

From our Jenkins plugin tests we did not replicate such behavior by now. Can you please let us know if you consistently replicate this behavior? If you could replicate this issue in a small sample or pattern this will be very useful.

Further on, can you let us know what version of TeamCity do you use, what version of Advanced Installer and what version of our Jenkins Plugin did you install? Also, please send us by email to support at advancedinstaller dot com the AIP (setup project file) you are building through TeamCity and a few details about how your TeamCity setup project build step is configured (maybe attached some screenshots).

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
jbaynton

Hi Daniel,

Now it's my turn to apologize for the delay. I'd been entirely too busy to get too involved in investigating it and, truthfully, it didn't affect me directly. However our QA team has been breathing down my neck recently so here I am.

As for versions:
TeamCity: 2017.2.3 build 51047
Advanced Installer: 14.4.1 build 82624
Plugin: 1.1.2

Unfortunately, I can't reproduce it consistently. Some times it go days without happening, sometimes it fails 3 times in a row. I've emailed the TeamCity build log, build step configuration and AIP file.

Thanks,

Jeff
Daniel

Hello Jeff,

We have further tested the scenario on our side but with no luck. We are still unable to replicate such behavior.

Could you try to upgrade the Advanced Installer application to our latest version (16.0) and see if this has any effect? If your maintenance plan does not cover the latest version of our application just forward us by email your license key and we will send you a RC version for you to test this out.

All the best,
Daniel
jbaynton

Hi Daniel,

I've upgraded to version 16.0 as well as the latest version of TeamCity. I'll keep an eye on it and keep you updated.

Thanks,

Jeff
Daniel

You are welcome Jeff.

Hopefully this will work around this issue.

All the best,
Daniel
jbaynton

Hi Daniel,

Going on a 1 month now without it hanging, so I'd say that's a win.

Thanks for your help!

Jeff
Daniel

You are always welcome Jeff.

All the best,
Daniel

Return to “Common Problems”