mdayanand

Finding installed product path

Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:43 am

Hi,

I would like to get installed application path (it can be any version of my previous releases) from another different app,both are built using AI.
It's possible to find product version using upgrade code but same can not be used during app search for registry key using product version which got from above search because it is in format including build no x.xx.xxxx but actual I should be x.xx to find product path from registry.

Between both search iam not possible to extract x.xx out of x.xx xxxx since both searches are running sequential.
Please suggest your solution for my requirement ASPS.

Thanks,
Dayanand

Daniel

Re: Finding installed product path

Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:19 pm

Hello Dayanand,

To achieve what you want you should create your own custom action which will parse the version value set into your extended search property (Product Version identify by UpgradeCode).

Then you should configure a regular registry search for your install path registry. Just go to "Search" page and add a "New Search". After created right click on the search name and use "Add Search Location -> Registry" option and configure your install path registry search which uses the value of the "Product Version identify by UpgradeCode" extended search result.

Please note that by default the setup package runs the regular searches and then executes the extended searches. So, you should configure the search actions to execute in reverse order. To do so you will need to use the "Table Editor" feature of our "Enterprise" edition. Just go to "Table Editor" and select the "InstallUISequence" table. Edit the sequence number of the "AppSearch" action to be higher than the one of the "AI_AppSearchEx" action. Repeat the same procedure in the "InstallExecuteSequence" table.

Lastly your custom action configured to parse the version number should be added in "Custom Actions" page after "Install Execution Stage" -> "Searches" action group. Keeping the [SHIFT] key pressed you should drag and drop the action entry besides the "Wizard Dialogs Stage" -> "Searches" action group too. This way the action is shared between the two execution stages.

And now, the final configuration should be done from "Table Editor" page too. Here you should configure the parse version custom action to be executed between "AI_AppSearchEx" and "AppSearch" action (in "InstallUISequence" and "InstallExecuteSequence" table).

Hope this helped.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”